MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Gov’t defends eradication of cobblestone paths

Gov’t defends eradication of cobblestone paths

By Anthony Lam, MDT
September 17, 2021
0
0
Share:

In response to public confusion regarding the eradication of Portuguese cobblestones on two streets in the St Lazarus District, the government defended its decision with safety and historical record as justification.
Officials from the Municipal Affairs Bureau (IAM), which is responsible for the roadwork, and the Cultural Affairs Bureau (IC), responsible for monitoring cultural heritage in the city, discussed the matter on the sidelines of a recent Urban Planning Committee Plenary.
On September 1, the Times sent an inquiry on the matter to the Municipal Affairs Bureau (IAM). No response has been received.
When questioned by the press, Lo Chi Kin, vice president of the IAM’s Administration Committee on Municipal Affairs, emphasized safety as the reason for the work, adding that sufficient communication has been conducted with the IC.
Lo revealed that the two slopes, Rua de Eduardo Marques and Rua de São Miguel, have so far recorded about a dozen accidents involving drivers and pedestrians slipping and falling. Some of those involved, according to Lo, filed for compensation from the government.
He added that the IAM had tried to look for a safer material which would also preserve the harmony between the road and nearby architecture, but none yielded acceptable results.
The IAM and the IC then came to a consensus that the road will be paved with reinforced concrete. Lo stressed that both bureaus are mindful of conservation and aesthetics.
In the same interview, Deland Leong Wai Man, vice-president of the IC, explained the bureau’s main concern is whether the cobblestone is “the most original element historically.”
She said that the materials and patterns used on the two slopes were only decided upon later by the municipal body. Thus the eradication of the most recent design had not led to “our sacrificing certain historical authenticity.”
Leong stressed that safety was not the primary factors taken into account. Instead, it began with the cultural preservation perspective. “This is an aesthetic issue,” she said. “Perhaps some consider reinforced concrete a relatively ordinary material, but our concern still falls within preservation.”
In an earlier interview with Chinese newspaper Exmoo, urban planner Lam Iek Chit attributed the debate to the lack of urban design guidelines. He explained that such guidelines could help the government make designs that harmonized architecture and façades with nearby roads and lampposts.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

102 local athletes compete in National Games

Next Article

Monday, September 20, 2021 – edition no. ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Gaming – Cambodia | NagaWorld VIP success may make it key challenger to Macau

      December 28, 2016
      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
    • Macau

      Family disputes arbitration bill passed on the first reading

      October 30, 2024
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Local real estate developer arrested in the US

      September 23, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      Large computer graphics conference to be held in town

      November 9, 2015
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Japan | Prime Minister Abe wows Rio finale as Super Mario

      August 23, 2016
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      China sentences 16 from Australia’s Crown Resorts to prison 

      June 27, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Man sentenced to over 13 years in prison for fatal attack

    • China

      Taiwan announces plan to build own submarines

    • Asia-Pacific

      Malaysia | Court postpones Najib 1MDB graft trial

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d