MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Japan | Video claims death of 1 of 2 IS hostages

Japan | Video claims death of 1 of 2 IS hostages

By -
January 26, 2015
2
0
Share:
This file image taken from an online video released by the Islamic State on Tuesday shows Kenji Goto Jogo, left, and Haruna Yukawa, right

This file image taken from an online video released by the Islamic State on Tuesday shows Kenji Goto Jogo, left, and Haruna Yukawa, right

 

From prime minister to ordinary people, Japanese responded with shock yesterday at a video purportedly showing one of two Japanese hostages of the extremist Islamic State group had been killed.
With national attention focusing on efforts to save the other hostage, 47-year-old journalist Kenji Goto, some also criticized Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s drive for a more assertive Japan as responsible for the hostage crisis.
A somber Abe appeared on Japanese public broadcaster NHK early yesterday demanding the militants release Goto unharmed. He said that the latest video was likely authentic, although he added that the government was still reviewing it. He offered condolences to the family and friends of Haruna Yukawa, a 42-year-old adventurer taken hostage in Syria last year.
Abe declined to comment on the message in the video, which demanded a prisoner exchange for Goto. He said only that the government was still working on the situation, and reiterated that Japan condemns terrorism.
“I am left speechless,” he said. “We strongly and totally criticize such acts.”
Yukawa’s father, Shoichi, told reporters he hoped “deep in his heart” that the news of his son’s killing was not true.
“If I am ever reunited with him, I just want to give him a big hug,” he said.
President Barack Obama condemned what he called “the brutal murder” of Yukawa and later yesterday offered condolences to Abe after arriving in India. Obama’s statement didn’t say how the U.S. knew Yukawa was dead.
He said that the United States will stand “shoulder to shoulder” with Japan, and also called for the immediate release of the second hostage.
The Associated Press could not verify the contents of the video message, which varied greatly from previous videos released by the Islamic State group, which now holds a third of both Syria and Iraq.
Patrick Ventrell, a spokesman for the White House National Security Council, said U.S. intelligence officials were also working to confirm whether it was authentic.
Criticism of Abe has touched on his push for an expanded role for Japan’s troops — one that has remained strictly confined to self-defense under the pacifist constitution written after the nation’s defeat in World War II.
The threat from the Islamic State group coincided with Abe’s trip to the Middle East, where he announced USD200 million in humanitarian aid to the nations fighting the militants.
Reflecting widely held sentiments here, Jun Hori, an independent journalist, bemoaned Abe’s directly mentioning the Islamic State in announcing the aid.
The Islamic State addressed Abe and cited that same figure as ransom demand in its video Tuesday that threatened to behead Yukawa and Goto within 72 hours.
“I feel Abe’s misguided shallow acts have trigged this ransom demand,” said Toshiko Okada, a former English school administrator, who has been stunned by the news and praying for the hostages’ lives. “Maybe he should be attending to problems at home.”
Hori believes Japan, restricted by its constitution, has held a slightly different position from the U.S. and Europe on the Middle East, and had up to now fared better at avoiding Western-style terrorist attacks.
“Japan has its own path of peaceful diplomacy that it should take,” Hori said.
Abe reiterated yesterday his earlier comments that the government of Japan will not succumb to terrorism and will continue to cooperate with the international community in the fight against it.
He spoke by phone with Jordanian King Abdullah II on Saturday, Japanese officials said, without elaborating on what they discussed. He also called the two hostages’ families.
Goto’s mother, Junko Ishido, was skeptical about the voice on the video claiming to be her son’s.
“I’m petrified,” Ishido told NHK. “He has children. I’m praying he will return soon, and that’s all I want.”
Japanese government spokesman Yoshihide Suga said the audio was still being studied, but there was no reason to deny the authenticity of the video.
Yukawa was captured last summer, and Goto is thought to have been seized in late October after going to Syria to try to rescue Yukawa.
Kent Calder, director of the Reischauer Center for East Asian Studies at SAIS/Johns Hopkins University in Washington D.C., said the “communalistic” and conformist aspects of Japanese society makes events like the hostage crisis played up in the mainstream media and is particularly emotionally disturbing for its people.
“That trauma is compounded by the fact that I don’t think most Japanese saw this coming,” he said in an email. “Many will realize out of this that they too are a part of global society, rather than an isolated island nation.” Yuri Kageyama, Tokyo, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsJapan
Previous Article

India | Obama begins state visit, seeks ...

Next Article

TRAFFICKING | Paraguay tries to stop execution ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Business

      Japan’s sake brewers hope UNESCO heritage listing can boost rice wine’s appeal

      November 15, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t warns residents to remain vigilant when traveling to Japan, following Beijing

      November 17, 2025
      By Yuki Lei, MDT
    • Asia-Pacific

      Star of hit series ‘The Solitary Gourmet’ hopes to share its joy of eating

      April 17, 2026
      By MDT/AP
    • Asia-Pacific

      Small tsunami waves splash ashore on remote Japanese islands

      September 25, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      President Lee will meet Japanese leader ahead of summit with Trump

      August 14, 2025
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Nissan, Honda announce plans to merge, creating world’s No. 3 automaker

      December 24, 2024
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      This Day in History | 2002 – Elderly patient sparks Commons row

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gaming | VIP baccarat revenue sees 56% uptick in Q3

    • Sports

      Sailing | WS hires ex British official Andy Hunt as new CEO

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d