MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Kim’s murder was to happen in Macau, suspect says in court

Kim’s murder was to happen in Macau, suspect says in court

By -
April 18, 2017
0
0
Share:

Vietnamese suspect Doan Thi Huong (center)

The trial of the two suspects who allegedly are responsible for the murder of Kim Jon Nam began late last week in Malaysia’s capital city, Kuala Lumpur.The suspects’ premeditations are already being exposed.

According to the Japanese newspaper, Asahi Shimbun, during her first testimony in court, Siti Aishah, an Indonesian woman who is being accused of murder of the half-brother of the North Korean leader, has said that the initial [murder] plan was prepared to happen in Macau and not in the Malaysian airport.

The newspaper cites an official attending the court session who was sent by the Indonesian government to help with the defense of Aishah. The official shared that Asihah said that the attack at the airport was a “sudden change of plans.”

The two suspects facing the Malaysian justice system also revealed that they were “hired” by North Korean officials to participate in a “prank tv show” to be recorded in the region on early February.

The same source also mentioned that Aishah named one of these officials as North Korean Foreign Ministry official Hong Song Hak, noting that it was he who “changed the plans” of the alleged location from Macau to Kuala Lumpur.

Media reports from last week showed both suspects, who are charged with killing Kim Jong Nam by smearing his face with a highly toxic nerve agent, appearing in court wearing bulletproof vests.

At the court, the lawyers for Aishah and the other suspect, Vietnamese national Doan Thi Huong, also told media that they feared a “trial by ambush” in which Malaysian police authorities did not divulge the crime’s evidence.

Indonesian suspect Siti Aisyah (center)

The lawyers, Gooi Soon Seng and Hisyam The, representing respectively Aishah and Huong have also told the court of these concerns. They highlighted that the police had not responded to their requests to provide evidence, such as CCTV recordings, and statements from three North Korean suspects allowed to leave Malaysia along with the body of Kim Jong Nam as part of a deal with North Korea. Prior to the deal being struck,  nine Malaysian nationals were prohibited from leaving North Korea as the Malaysian authorities were refusing to release the body of Nam or officials who were persons of interest in the case.

“We’ve lost an opportunity to cross-examine them. […] There should be no trial by ambush,” said Aishah’s lawyer, noting that the authorization to depart the country for Ri Ji U (also known as James) had “compromised the defense,” since he was a key witness, Gooi told the reporters outside the court, cited by Reuters.

Sharing in the same criticisms, Huong’s lawyer has said his request to the police to provide evidence such as photos and communications from the two phones seized from his client has been ignored.

It is believed that four other North Korean nationals, identified as suspects on the same case,left Kuala Lumpur for Pyongyang on the exact day of the killing.

Last week Malaysian magistrate court was prepared to hear a request from the prosecution for the two women to be tried jointly in a higher court, but the hearing was postponed to May 30 due to a prosecution request for more time to collect relevant documents.

Indonesia’s Siti Aishah and Vietnam’s Doan Thi Huong are facing the death penalty, in the case of conviction by the Malaysian court. RM

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsKim Jong Nam
Previous Article

Crime | Chinese nationals arrested over illegal ...

Next Article

MSC’s Planetarium kicks off new space film

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-PacificHeadlinesMacau

      Kim Jong Nam | Alias Facebook account shut down

      February 17, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      Kim Jong Nam murder | Two Malaysians leave North Korea after being stranded by travel ban

      March 10, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Kim Jong Nam murder | Masks and gloves worn in court as VX-tainted evidence shown

      October 5, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Police: Kim Jong Nam told friend he feared for his life

      February 28, 2018
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Kim Jong Nam murder | VX poison caused paralysis, quick death

      February 27, 2017
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Days in Macau | Kim Jong Nam led low-key lifestyle in city’s downtown

      February 16, 2017
      By Daniel Beitler, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gaming | Expert: E-currency a means to dam and trace gambling outflow in Macau

    • AdvertorialMacau

      Great Times | Where Wedding Dreams are Made

    • BuzzWorld

      Ukrainian refugees helped push German population up 1.3% last year

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d