MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Malaysia Ex-PM Najib ordered to enter defense in 1MDB case

Malaysia Ex-PM Najib ordered to enter defense in 1MDB case

By -
November 12, 2019
1
0
Share:

A Malaysian judge yesterday ordered former Prime Minister Najib Razak to enter a defense at his first corruption trial linked to the multibillion-dollar looting at the 1MDB state investment fund that helped spur his shocking election ouster last year.

Defense lawyers said Najib was shocked he wasn’t acquitted. He will be the first defense witness to take the stand when the trial resumes Dec. 3.

High Court Judge Mohamad Nazlan Mohamad Ghazali said the prosecution had established its case on charges of abuse of power, breach of trust and money laundering. The seven charges relate to 42 million ringgit ($10.1 million) that allegedly went into Najib’s bank accounts from SRC International, a former unit of the 1MDB fund.

The judge said it was clear that Najib, who was also finance minister at the time, had “wielded overarching authority and power” in SRC and taken actions for “personal and private interest.” He said prosecution had established an “ingredient of dishonesty” in the fund misappropriation.

Najib’s top lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah said the judge had chosen a “different interpretation of facts and laws” on the defense arguments. He maintained Najib was a victim of a conspiracy led by fugitive Malaysian financier Low Taek Jho, identified by U.S. investigators as the mastermind in the pilfering of more than $4.5 billion from the fund.

“You will hear the true story from the accused. He has to tell his story, his version of what happened in SRC,” Shafee told a news conference. “This is a person who trusted the people around him and these people let him down.”

Najib, 66, denies any wrongdoing and accuses Malaysia’s new government of seeking political vengeance. The patrician former leader, whose father and uncles were the country’s second and third prime ministers respectively, could face years in prison if convicted.

Shafee said whatever verdict is reached, both sides will appeal until the case reaches the top court. It could last many years, “well beyond the next election,” due in 2023, he said.

Najib is also charged in four other cases over 1MDB corruption that led to investigations in the U.S. and several countries. His wife, several officials from his government, and the U.S. bank Goldman Sachs also face charges related to the scandal.

Yesterday’s ruling was seen as a key test for the legal system and the credibility of Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad’s government, which won a historic victory in the May 2018 election on an anti-corruption platform. The polls led to Malaysia’s first change of government since independence from Britain in 1957.

In an immediate reaction from the government, Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman tweeted: “Praise God. May justice be on the side of the people.”

Mahathir, 94, was premier for 22 years until his retirement in 2003 but made a political comeback amid anger over the 1MDB scandal. His government soon reopened 1MDB investigations that had been quashed under Najib.

U.S. investigators say money stolen from 1MDB was laundered through layers of bank accounts in the U.S. and other countries to finance Hollywood films and buy hotels, a luxury yacht, art works, jewelry and other extravagances. More than $700 million from the fund allegedly landed in Najib’s bank account.

In all, Najib faces 42 charges of criminal breach of trust, graft, abuse of power and money laundering in the five criminal cases.

Shafee said yesterday’s ruling isn’t likely to affect Najib’s ongoing second trial, where he faces 25 counts of graft for allegedly receiving and using more than $731 million from 1MDB between 2011 and 2014.

He said a U.S. settlement deal last month with financier Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, that will allow the Justice Department to recover almost $1 billion stolen from 1MDB would bolster Najib’s case that he was misled by Low. Low, who faces charges in Malaysia and the U.S., is still in hiding.

“You must draw the line between naive, too trusting or even negligence as opposed to having the intention to commit crime,” he said of Najib. Eileen Ng, Kuala Lumpur, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Vietnamese court finds Australian guilty of terrorism

Next Article

Gambia takes Myanmar to top UN court ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      North Korea | Nuke arsenal could multiply to 100 bombs

      February 26, 2015
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Myanmar | Criticism doesn’t have Suu Kyi or country on the ropes

      September 6, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Koreas | North, South hold border talks to discuss improved ties

      November 27, 2015
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Ending the war | Possible peace declaration looms large over Kim-Trump summit

      February 21, 2019
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      India-Pakistan border dispute | India warns Pakistan of heavy response if clashes persist

      October 10, 2014
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      The Buzz | North Korea to send top ranking general to Olympics closing ceremony

      February 23, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      CE meets with Cambodian Prime Minister

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Macau Foundation concludes payment to Hato victims

    • HeadlinesSports

      How it works: a look at the retests of Olympic drug samples

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d