MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›May 2014 protest back in the limelight

May 2014 protest back in the limelight

By -
May 26, 2015
1
0
Share:

1-IMG_3105The New Macau Association held a photography exhibition yesterday afternoon at Tap Seac Square in cooperation with the editorial committee involved in the preparation of a book that reportedly went missing during its printing process in mainland China last week.
The exhibition, which is expected to run for two weeks across the city, features detailed information about how the controversial top officials compensation bill proposed by the government triggered youth-­dominated protests throughout the city. The protest culminated with an outraged congregation at the Legislative Assembly last May.
Yesterday’s event, which was supposed to be the presentation of the now missing book, was held on the first anniversary of the anti-bill march at the same venue where the demonstration started last year. Speaking of the political impact of the protest on the government over the past year, the author of the book, Sulu Sou, accused the mainland authorities of confiscating the tome, although the customs authority that oversees the Gongbei border denies the accusation.
Recalling the events of May 2014, he told the media that the officials seem to baulk at any activities that may be linked to the protest, like the book he wrote.
“[The book] reflected that the ‘anti-bill incident’ was still like a sting to the SAR government even though it has passed,” said the democracy advocate who was among the organizers of last year’s citywide march.
He continued: “We expected last year that the government would improve its manner in [governing the city], yet no salient changes have been observed. The authorities have grown even more unscrupulous.”
TDM reported last Friday that none of the mainland manufacturers received the publication for printing. However, according to the author, the statement that he issued later that night addressing the issue has ended up “nowhere” in the mainstream media. TDM aired a story the following day reporting the mainland customs officials’ denial of interference. But TDM reportedly censored Sou’s personal response to those claims. The author described all of this as “unacceptable.”
Since the media coverage of the alleged seizure last Friday, Sou has declined to reveal the name of the local publisher that processed his book’s publication, due to fears of a possible political retaliation from the government, which is also a major client of the printing firm.
The two-and-a-half-hour event saw a low turnout despite the presence of several political activists. Staff reporter

Another 1,000 books coming soon

Sulu Sou expects that another batch of 1,000 copies of his book could be released to the public at a new presentation next month. The editorial committee is planning to turn to publishers in Hong Kong for publication. In addition, Sou said that they are also considering electronic publication options following the authorities’ alleged interference.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Survey | Junket association says 99pct in ...

Next Article

Galaxy Macau phase 2 and Broadway ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      20% of population using 5G

      May 18, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Hotel guest number leaps 140% y-o-y May

      June 30, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Patriotic education under the spotlight in Beijing

      March 9, 2015
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      City center filled with tourists in long-awaited reopening

      January 9, 2023
      By -
    • HeadlinesInterviewMacau

      Q&A | Jeremy Jauncey – Globetrotting Instagrammer: ‘There’s so much more to Macau than everyone thinks’

      November 24, 2016
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      CE holds talks with Chinese railway group, Singaporean investment company

      March 2, 2023
      By Anthony Lam, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      This Day in History | 2000 – Shocking images of boy shot in Gaza

    • Macau

      First local babies of 2016 are girls

    • Asia-Pacific

      15 suspected drug smugglers killed in clash with Thai soldiers

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d