MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Melco sees VIP junket players converted to premium direct
Gaming

Melco sees VIP junket players converted to premium direct

By Lynzy Valles, MDT
March 3, 2022
1
0
Share:

Melco Resorts and Entertainment is seeing players who were formerly VIP players from junkets entering its premium direct program.

Speaking during an earnings call with analysts, Melco Resorts CEO David Sisk said that the team has been working hard over the last few years to grow their premium direct business, even attracting junket players.  

In July last year, the gaming operator announced that its casino hotel, Altira Macau, would focus on the “high-margin premium mass segment,” making it the company’s first integrated resort to have a broader focus in the market.
Melco has already shut down VIP operations at Altira Macau, and the junket and premium direct VIP operations have been moved to City of Dreams and to Studio City.

“This transition has actually worked out fairly well for us as we’ve gotten out of the VIP junket business and […] continue to see more and more growth in our premium direct business. It’s worked very well for us,” said Sisk.

As the gaming operator has been premium mass focused, the junket business has “always had a very minimal amount of impact to our bottom line overall, so again this transition was a very natural and fairly easy transition for us.”

The turmoil in the junket sector following the high-profile arrest of mogul Alvin Chau led to gaming operators halting their agreements with junket operators. 

Melco Resorts was one of the first gaming operators that reportedly notified junket operators that, from late December, they intend to shut down the gaming rooms where high rollers are brought to play. 

Altira, meanwhile, was expected to emerge as a “stronger, higher-margin, more stable property in the portfolio.”

However, with current tourism levels in Macau, CEO and chairman Lawrence Ho believes that “it really doesn’t justify, I think, many properties – not just Altira – being there. But we do think that with Covid normalizing, hopefully, and within the calendar year 2022, Macau getting closer to the traditional visitation that we would get, Altira has a niche positioning.”

No plans to relax borders

Ho is not expecting China to relax its border restrictions, noting the Chinese policy is going to be “very conservative” this year with regard to opening up its borders.

“It’s a very unique year in China, it’s a very important year. Of course we went through the Olympics and then of course there are the two session meetings happening this week,” Ho explained.

Other significant events coming up include the Hong Kong Chief Executive election and the 25th anniversary of the Hong Kong handover, and then, by far the most important event for the country, the Chinese Communist Party National Congress meeting set to happen in October.

With Hong Kong seeing its fifth wave of Covid-19 and tens of thousands of new cases, Ho said, “I don’t have a lot of hope that group tours or eVisas are going to be normalized before the Hong Kong-China corridor, meaning the Hong Kong-Macau corridor will be open.”

Melco records USD812m loss in 2021

Melco Resorts and Entertainment Limited’s total operating revenue for the fourth quarter of 2021 was USD480.6 million, a decrease of approximately 9% from USD528 million for the same period in 2020.

The decrease in total operating revenue was primarily attributable to “softer performance in the rolling chip segment,” the company said in a statement. 

The group reported a full-year net loss of USD811.8 million, an improvement on the USD1.26 billion loss in 2020.

In an earnings call with analysts, CEO and chairman Lawrence Ho said that results in the fourth quarter have continued to reflect Covid-19-related disruptions and their impact on travel and customer visits. Volume across all segments in Macau has therefore increased in the fourth quarter of 2021 compared to the third quarter, despite structural changes in the VIP segment. 

Group Adjusted Property EBITDA also showed meaningful sequential improvement during the fourth quarter as it was recorded at USD94 million, compared with an Adjusted Property EBITDA of USD53.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2020.

“Going into 2022, the Covid flare-up in Zhuhai led to softer performance in the pre-CNY period; however, volumes across our segments increased year-over-year during the Chinese New Year holiday period and this carried over into the weeks following the holiday,” said Ho.

He added that premium direct business at City of Dreams Macau was more than double that recorded in the Chinese New Year period in 2021, and continued to outperform the following weeks. Mass table drop also demonstrated strength, increasing around 20% compared to the Chinese New Year in 2021. LV

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsGaming
Previous Article

Veteran Hong Kong lawyer departs following meeting ...

Next Article

Zhuhai targets 6.5% GDP growth in 2022

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gangs shift from Macau casinos to poorly regulated countries: report

      February 19, 2024
      By -
    • Macau

      Gaming | MGM Resorts posts fourth-quarter loss

      February 19, 2015
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Strong momentum for MGM as properties see ‘very healthy recovery’

      February 10, 2023
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • Macau

      AAEC letter no impact on gov’t decision: JP Morgan

      October 17, 2022
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • BusinessMacau

      Macau’s gaming revenue in April exceeds expectations

      May 1, 2025
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Sands China completes major redevelopment of Londoner Grand ahead of Golden Week

      April 25, 2025
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT

    • HeadlinesMacau

      CE: Socioeconomic stability maintained despite Covid-19 crisis

    • Features

      ‘The Godfather’ studio is hoping for an offer it can’t refuse

    • China

      Opinion | China’s electric cars are actually pretty dirty

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d