MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›Migration | EU foreign ministers to meet after latest shipwreck tragedy

Migration | EU foreign ministers to meet after latest shipwreck tragedy

By -
April 21, 2015
1
0
Share:
Survivors of the smuggler’s boat that overturned off the coasts of Libya lie on the deck of the Italian Coast Guard ship Bruno Gregoretti, in Valletta’s Grand Harbour

Survivors of the smuggler’s boat that overturned off the coasts of Libya lie on the deck of the Italian Coast Guard ship Bruno Gregoretti, in Valletta’s Grand Harbour

Rescue crews searched yesterday for survivors and bodies from what could be the Mediterranean’s deadliest migrant tragedy ever as hundreds more migrants took to the sea undeterred and EU foreign ministers gathered for an emergency meeting to address the crisis.
If reports of at least 700 and as many as 900 dead are confirmed, the weekend shipwreck near the Libyan coast would bring to well over 1,000 the number of migrants who died or went missing during the perilous Mediterranean crossing in the last week. More than 400 are feared dead in another sinking. More than 10,000 others were rescued.
“This tragedy didn’t have to happen,” Sarah Tyler, a spokeswoman for Save the Children, said of Sunday’s incident. “That is almost as many as died in the Titanic, and 31 times the number who died when the Costa Concordia sank.”
Libya is a transit point for migrants fleeing conflict, repression and poverty in countries such as Eritrea, Niger, Syria, Iraq and Somalia, with increased instability there and improving weather prompting more people to attempt the dangerous crossing.
One survivor of the weekend sinking, identified as a 32-year-old Bangladeshi, has put the number of people on board the smugglers’ boat at as many as 950. Authorities previously had quoted him as saying 700 migrants were on board.
The survivor was flown by helicopter to Catania, in Sicily, where he was interviewed by prosecutors. He was being treated in a hospital.
“He is pretty well now and he is reporting that there were really many, many persons including children on the boat. So it’s confirming the terrible news,” said Carlotta Sami, a U.N. refugee agency spokeswoman.
The survivor said some 300 migrants were locked in a hold by the smugglers, and would have been trapped inside when the boat sank, according to Prosecutor Giovanni Salvi, who is conducting the investigation.
Both Salvi and international agencies stressed that the information provided to prosecutors still needs to be confirmed.
A new tragedy unfolded in Greece, meanwhile, where search and rescue operations were underway yesterday after a wooden boat carrying dozens of migrants who departed Turkey ran aground off the eastern Aegean island of Rhodes. At least three people, including a child, were dead, while 93 were rescued. It was unclear how many people were on board and could be missing.
Also yesterday, the International Organization for Migration said its Rome office had received a distress call from international waters in the Mediterranean about three boats in need of help. The group says the caller reported 300 people on his sinking boat, with about 20 fatalities. No details were available about the other boats or their location. Coleen Barry, Milan, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

This Day in History: 1955 Fleet Street ...

Next Article

Environment | Almonds get roasted in debate ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Offbeat | Movie, newspaper that share name confusing some ‘Post’ fans

      January 26, 2018
      By -
    • World

      Russia has turned food, energy and even children into weapons against Ukraine: Zelenskyy

      September 21, 2023
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Gambler sets another one-day winnings record on ‘Jeopardy!’

      April 19, 2019
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | New Southampton owner said to get China-backed bank funding

      August 18, 2017
      By -
    • BuzzWorld

      EU pauses tariff retaliation for 90 days to match Trump move, holding out hope for talks

      April 11, 2025
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Spanish town celebrates bizarre, turnip-throwing festival

      January 22, 2016
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Typhoon drill carried out amid special Covid-19 context

    • BusinessHeadlines

      How US-China limited trade deal achieved a little but left out a lot

    • World

      Terrorism | Court papers: Suspect vowed ‘bombs will be heard’ in streets

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d