MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-PacificHeadlines
Home›Asia-Pacific›Philippines | Lava gushes from volcano near Manila; tens of thousands flee

Philippines | Lava gushes from volcano near Manila; tens of thousands flee

By -
January 14, 2020
0
0
Share:

A family evacuates to safer grounds in Tagaytay, Cavite province

Red-hot lava gushed out of a volcano near the Philippine capital yesterday, as tens of thousands of people fled the area through heavy ash and frightening tremors. Experts warned that the eruption could get worse and plans were being made to evacuate hundreds of thousands more.

Clouds of ash blew more than 100 kilometers north of the Taal volcano on Sunday, reaching Manila, the bustling capital, and forcing the shutdown of the country’s main airport, with more than 500 flights canceled. The airport was partially reopened yesterday after the ashfall eased.

There have been no reports of casualties or major damage so far. A truck, however, skidded out of control and fell on its side on an ash-blanketed road, killing the driver and injuring three companions in southern Laguna province in an accident police said may be linked to the slippery road conditions.

The government’s disaster-response agency and other officials reported more than 30,000 villagers have fled their homes in the hard-hit province of Batangas and nearby Cavite province, but officials expect the number to swell with hundreds of thousands more moving out of harm’s way.

Some residents could not move out of ash-blanketed villages immediately due to a lack of transport and poor visibility. Others refused to leave their homes and farms.

“We have a problem — our people are panicking due to the volcano because they want to save their livelihood, their pigs and herds of cows,” Mayor Wilson Maralit of Balete town told DZMM radio. “We’re trying to stop them from returning and warning that the volcano can explode again anytime and hit them.”

Maralit, whose town lies along the shoreline of Taal Lake surrounding the erupting volcano, appealed for troops and more policemen to stop distraught residents from sneaking back to their high-risk villages.

After a cleanup and ash-laden winds shifted away from Manila, officials partially reopened the main airport and allowed stranded planes to take off. Airport manager Ed Monreal told a news conference that incoming flights can be accommodated once parking bays are freed up, but warned that the airport may be closed again if the danger returns.

President Rodrigo Duterte’s aircraft was able to land in Manila yesterday from his southern Davao city hometown, his spokesman said, adding he saw the extent of the volcanic devastation from the plane.

Taal had been restive for months until it suddenly rumbled back to life Sunday, blasting steam, ash and pebbles up to 10 to 15 kilometers into the sky, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology.

The ash and steam column reached a height of only 2 kilometers yesterday, with lava fountains spurting less than half of that height before falling into lake waters surrounding the main crater. Lava also spurted from another vent north of the main crater, Renato Solidum, who heads the institute, told reporters.

Frequent tremors and inflation of the 1,020-foot volcano, one of the world’s smallest, however, indicate a major and much more dangerous eruption could still happen, he said.

The government volcano-monitoring agency raised the danger level around Taal three notches on Sunday, to level 4, indicating “a hazardous eruption within hours to days was possible.” Level 5, the highest, means such an eruption is underway and could affect a larger area with high-risk zones that would need to be cleared of people, Solidum said.

It’s difficult to say when Taal’s restiveness will ease, Solidum said, adding that the volcano’s last disastrous explosion occurred in 1965, when more than 200 people were killed.

Large numbers of displaced villagers worried about the homes, farms and cattle they left behind and the uncertain future they face. Irene de Claro, a mother of four, worried about her father, who stayed in their village in Agoncillo town in Batangas while the rest of the family fled in panic.

“My father is missing. We don’t know too what happened to our house because the ash was up to our knees, it was very dark and the ground was constantly shaking when we left,” de Castro told The Associated Press in a school in Lemery town in Batangas. “Most likely there’s nothing for us to return to. We’re back to zero.”

She later paused as the ground shook again.

A small island where the volcano lies has long been declared a “permanent danger zone,” although fishing villages have existed there for years. Those residents have all been evacuated safely, volcanology officials said, adding that there should be a “total evacuation” too of lakeshore communities “at high risk to pyroclastic density currents and volcanic tsunami within a 14-kilometer radius from Taal.”

Government work and classes in schools in a wide swath of towns and cities were suspended Monday, including in Manila, to avoid health risks posed by the ashfall. At least four Batangas towns reported power outages.

Taal is regarded as the second-most restive of about two dozen active volcanoes in the Philippines, which lies along the so-called Pacific “Ring of Fire,” a seismically active region that is prone to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. JOEAL CALUPITAN & JIM GOMEZ, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Fugitive Catalan Puigdemont arrives at EU parliament

Next Article

Briefs | India’s ruling party lawmaker threatens ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Hac-Sa adventure facilities to cap at MOP1.4 billion for construction

      November 22, 2023
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Road safety concerns persist as south stormwater project nears completion

      March 18, 2025
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Australia commemorates war dead with few Covid restrictions

      April 26, 2022
      By -
    • Breaking NewsHeadlinesMacau

      More mainland provinces resume non-tourism visas to Macau

      July 31, 2020
      By Julie Zhu, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Job seekers voice hope and worries amid tough market conditions

      July 4, 2025
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Philippines confirms 2nd polio case after declaring outbreak

      September 23, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Business

      Australia | Household debt flashes red in Morgan Stanley report

    • World

      Greece | Crunch time as IMF debt looms and bailout ends

    • Business

      Macy’s rejects $5.8B takeover bid from two investment firms

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d