MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Police don’t rule out action against 12 Tap Seac protesters

Police don’t rule out action against 12 Tap Seac protesters

By -
March 30, 2021
1
0
Share:

On Sunday, the Public Security Police Force (PSP) deployed dozens of officers and apprehended 12 individuals for investigation in response to a protest regarding the e-voucher scheme that had been canceled by the Health Bureau (SSM).
When questioned yesterday as to whether the authority will press charges against the 12 individuals, the police emphasized that investigations were still in progress but did not rule out the possibility of further action against the 12.
Last week, the police gave a green light to the original protest organizers, but one day before the protest, the SSM levied a ban on the activity while blaming the organizer for not being able to ensure the health conditions of prospective marchers.
Some individuals at the Tap Seac Square told the press that they felt helpless and wanted their voice to be heard by the Chief Executive, which was why they wanted to attend the march.
Others told the press that they were part of a four-person family, two of whom were currently unemployed. They stressed that it was not consumption stimulus or a consumption card that they wanted; they wanted a job.
They suggested the government should reduce the number of non-resident workers so as to safeguard the employment rights of local residents, saying that they did not want to surround the Labor Affairs Bureau (DSAL) building, as they were accused of doing some weeks ago, and instead claimed that the government was behind the clash that subsequently occurred.
Weeks ago before the incident, a group of about 500 unemployed individuals visited the DSAL, but the visit subsequently turned into a protest. Some of the individuals took to the road right in front of the bureau entrance and blocked the traffic to attract attention to their cause.
In relation to this most recent protest, although it was banned by the SSM at the last minute, according to Portuguese newspaper Ponto Final, the Holi Festival, organized by the Macau Indian Culture Association, was allowed to go ahead on Sunday in Cheoc-Van Beach, where dozens of participants gathered without facemasks or social distancing, which were the practices the SSM required from the protest organizer.
When questioned by the media as to whether the government is demonstrating double standards with regard to mandating yesterday’s protest and earlier outdoor events like Macau Food Festival and marathon, Tai Wa Hou, coordinator of the SSM’s Covid-19 Vaccination Operation, said yesterday at the media briefing that the SSM has treated all events “equally,” provided that they all conform to all the safety measures to avoid contagion risks.
Tai pointed out that the other approved events, which involved gatherings of a crowd, had met all the requirements, including a fixed entrance and exit at the venue, a temperature checkpoint at the entrance, a requirement for all guests to display their health code before entering, and measures to keep order and keep the number of participants in check. AL

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Feb occupancy rate at 38.5%, down 1.8% ...

Next Article

BioNTech’s packaging defects possibly linked to long ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Briefs | Macanese painter wins prize in London

      April 8, 2015
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Uber controversy | Lawmaker hopes Sunday’s demo will produce ideas

      September 1, 2016
      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
    • Macau

      Coutinho urges DSRT to issue fines for poor TV reception

      August 8, 2014
      By -
    • Macau

      Rotary Club of Macau to invest in mental health projects under new leadership

      August 30, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Transport statistics | Number of new motor vehicles falls

      February 2, 2016
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Covid-19 | Zhuhai’s Doumen identifies Macau as high-risk region

      October 8, 2021
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      This Day in History | 2001 – Teenage woman guilty of rape

    • World

      Russia captures UK national fighting alongside Ukraine in the Kursk region, report says

    • China

      Trade War | Beijing protests over US warship sighting as talks start

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d