MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Report: China cancels visit by kids who sang Taiwan anthem

Report: China cancels visit by kids who sang Taiwan anthem

By -
June 17, 2016
1
0
Share:
Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen (left) and Vice President Chen Chien-jen sing the national anthem with the Puzangalan Choir (rear) during their inauguration ceremony in Taipei

Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen (left) and Vice President Chen Chien-jen sing the national anthem with the Puzangalan Choir (rear) during their inauguration ceremony in Taipei

Chinese organizers canceled an invitation to a Taiwanese children’s choir which performed the island’s national anthem at last month’s inauguration of its new president, reports said yesterday, in a move criticized in Taiwan as a petty political retaliation.
The Puzangalan Choir made up of children from the native Paiwan aboriginal tribe was to perform at a festival in Guangdong province on July 20, Taiwan’s official Central News Agency said.
It quoted the choir’s musical director, Wu Sheng-ying, as saying the Chinese organizers informed the choir one week after they appeared at the May 20 inauguration of the self-governing island’s first female president, Tsai Ing-wen.
No reason was given, although China claims Taiwan as its own territory and regularly retaliates against artists whom it sees as backing the island’s independent identity, along with other overseas artists with whom it is displeased.
No contact information for the festival organizers was immediately available.
A lawmaker from Taiwan’s ruling pro-independence Democratic Progressive Party, of which Tsai is a member, called Beijing’s decision “unacceptable.”
“I don’t understand. What mistake did those kids make?” Huang Wei-ze told journalists at Taiwan’s parliament.
Tsai’s predecessor as president, Ma Ying-jeou, said cultural exchanges between the sides “should not be manipulated by political interests.”
A message from the choir on its Facebook page said the invitation’s cancellation had been “within our expectations,” but that the group’s heightened profile would help it with fundraising to make up for the loss of the appearance fee.
“We’ll just take that invitation and use it as wallpaper. The kids don’t really get what happened it so what does it matter?” the message said.
Such actions illustrate China’s hard line in its refusal to recognize Taiwanese political institutions, but also appear to clash with its attempts to win Taiwanese hearts and minds and curb growing pro-independence sentiment through youth and cultural exchanges.
In 2000, China canceled all concerts and commercial activities within China by Taiwanese singer Chang Hui-mei after she performed Taiwan’s national anthem at the inauguration of Chen Shui-bian, the first president elected from Tsai’s party.
The Puzangalan Choir’s performance, in which they incorporated aboriginal musical elements into the national anthem, had been widely praised. The choir’s name means “hope” in the aboriginal language.
“Singing the national anthem at the presidential inauguration was a great honor for us, so we decided to go ahead with it, although someone had warned us of the possible consequences,” musical director Wu was quoted as saying by CNA.
They are next scheduled to appear at a choir competition in Hungary in August. CNA said Tsai has donated 500,000 Taiwanese dollars (USD15,400) from her publishing royalties to help with expenses for the trip.
Tsai did not comment directly on the cancellation, but posted a message on her Facebook page urging members of the public to help with the choir’s travel expenses.
“These voices are Taiwan’s own, let’s all contribute to allow these children the chance to sing for the whole world to hear,” Tsai wrote. Christopher Bodeen, Beijing, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Bangladesh | Police arrest Islamic suspect in ...

Next Article

USA-China | Obama, Dalai Lama anger Beijing ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Meat processors shrug off WHO cancer warning

      October 29, 2015
      By -
    • China

      Hong Kong | China tourist malaise deepens from bling to buns

      June 24, 2016
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      A worried Asia wonders: What will Joe Biden do?

      November 10, 2020
      By -
    • ChinaOpinion

      Editorial excerpts | The New York Times on Chinese media restrictions

      February 26, 2016
      By -
    • China

      South China Sea | Beijing summons G7 diplomats to protest ministers’ statement

      April 14, 2016
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Recovery points to Lunar New Year boost for gold demand

      February 11, 2021
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      LRT passenger increase trend over in March

    • HeadlinesMacau

      FIA adds F4 World Cup event for the first time

    • Uncategorized

      1987 Shares plunge after Wall Street crash

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d