MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Return to school might be delayed, gov’t admits

Return to school might be delayed, gov’t admits

By Renato Marques, MDT
August 19, 2021
1
0
Share:

The return of students to non-tertiary education facilities in Macau may be delayed, Wong Ka Ki, Department Head of Non-Tertiary Education from the Education and Youth Development Bureau (DSEDJ), admitted yesterday during the regular briefing from health authorities on the Covid-19 situation.
According to Wong, depending on the development of the pandemic in coming days, the start of the new academic year planned for the beginning of next month might be subject to some adjustment and delay, he said.
In limbo are approximately 3,000 cross-border students and other school staff members, including teachers, who are likely to be unable to return to Macau 14 days ahead of the launch of the new academic year as the DSEDJ had previously expected.
According to the same official, no decision has yet been taken on the matter and the plan for the start of the school year is still in place, although he warned that changes may be made as the date approaches.
“Our priority is to ensure the safety of our students and school communities,” Wong said while explaining the reasons behind the potential postponement.
At this point, the DSEDJ department head preferred not to speculate on the possible length of any postponement nor whether any delay would apply to all schools or just to particular cases.
“We plan that if the situation [with Covid-19] becomes unstable, we can consider the postponement of the start of the school year,” Wong remarked.
Questioned on the matter, Wong also noted that, according to the DSEDJ plan, students, teachers and other school staff members should undertake at least one nucleic acid test (NAT) to guarantee that there is no risk of contagion.
Expanding on the subject, he admitted that the main target of the NAT requirement could be local members of the school community, “since the cross border ones must already [according to regulations] repeat the test every seven days.” Despite his statement that no final decision had yet been reached on the matter, Wong said that the DSEDJ services and the Health Bureau, are “still evaluating.”

Covid-19 | No consensus yet reached on vaccine mixing, recognition for Sinopharm vaccine

Dr. Tai Wa Hou, medical director from the Conde de São Januário Hospital Center and coordinator of the Health Bureau’s Covid-19 Vaccination Operation, issued a clarification at the regular press briefing on the Covid-19 situation yesterday that no consensus has yet been reached concerning the possible effects of mixing doses of different Covid-19 vaccines.
The comments from Tai came after a question from the media as to whether the government has found a solution for Macau residents who have been vaccinated with the Sinopharm inactivated virus vaccines and who now cannot travel to the USA, where this vaccine is not recognized.
Admitting that there is no solution for such cases, Tai said that “the mixing of vaccines is something that is still being studied, and has not yet been approved. And the same goes for the third [booster] dose for the current vaccines.”
Continuing on the subject, the doctor added that the inoculation of persons under 18 years of age with the Sinopharm vaccine is still in an experimental and restricted stage and requires special authorization from mainland authorities.
“The vaccination of children and adolescents with the inactivated virus vaccine is just for emergency cases and a large majority of people are not included in this emergency plan,” he said.
“Once we have the documentation that proves the safety and efficiency of the use of vaccines in different ways [compared to what is being done currently] we will inform [the public] about this and we will consider it,” he added.
Tai also clarified that of the eight severe cases of potential adverse events following immunization (AEFI), only one is currently being considered as directly related to the vaccine. The other seven have been dismissed either as cases of medical conditions surfacing coincidentally with the vaccine or inconclusive cases.
In the case involving a myocardial inflammation (myocarditis), the physician said that the government would assume responsibility over the treatment of the patient.
Questioned whether the patients concerned could make a claim using the vaccination’s insurance, Tai said that there is no such possibility in any of the cases, since, “the insurance only covers cases of death or severe incapacity due to AEFIs.”

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Briefs | Fu Hong’s social restaurant helps ...

Next Article

Miguel Ian | Former head loses FP ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      More Hong Kong activists, journalists denied entry to Macau

      December 19, 2019
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Secretary Rosário: Too busy to make progress on land auction

      May 18, 2023
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Christmas market with a Portuguese flavor

      December 19, 2016
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Man arrested at airport after swallowing 52 heroin packets

      February 10, 2026
      By -
    • Macau

      Fernandes forecasts up to 20,000 daily visitor arrivals this CNY

      February 11, 2021
      By Honey Tsang, MDT
    • Macau

      Pollution bureau pledges to monitor noise constantly

      September 21, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Graduating UM students return to university

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Revamped GP Museum reopens doors next week

    • Macau

      GBA Science Forum strengthens regional collaboration

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d