MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›Rights group says Saudi-led coalition damaged Yemen economy

Rights group says Saudi-led coalition damaged Yemen economy

By -
July 12, 2016
1
0
Share:
Shiite rebels hold their weapons as they chant slogans during a rally to mark Al-Quds (Jerusalem) day in Sanaa, earlier this month

Shiite rebels hold their weapons as they chant slogans during a rally to mark Al-Quds (Jerusalem) day in Sanaa, earlier this month

The Saudi-led coalition targeting Yemen’s Shiite rebels has caused extensive damage to the impoverished Arabian Peninsula country’s economic infrastructure in the year-long air campaign, an international rights group said yesterday.
Human Rights Watch said the coalition airstrikes have hit factories, warehouses, and power stations. In a new report, HRW documented airstrikes on 13 key facilities in Yemen since the beginning of the Saudi-led campaign in March 2015, until February.
The New York-based watchdog said those airstrikes killed a total of 30 civilians and left hundreds of Yemenis unemployed. The facilities that were hit had produced, stored, and distributed food, medicine, and electricity.
HRW said that “taken together, the attacks on factories and other civilian economic structures raise serious concerns that the Saudi-led coalition has deliberately sought to inflict widespread damage to Yemen’s production capacity.”
Yemen is in the grip of a civil war pitting government forces backed by the Saudi-led coalition against the country’s Shiite rebels known as Houthis and army units loyal to a former president. The conflict has killed an estimated 9,000 people and pushed the Arab world’s poorest country to the brink of famine. It created deep political and security vacuum that enabled Yemen’s al-Qaida branch, Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, and an upstart Islamic State affiliate to seize large swaths of land and carry out large-scale attacks.
U.N.-mediated peace talks hosted by Kuwait between Yemen’s warring sides almost collapsed last month after weeks of failed negotiations while a cease-fire declared by the United Nations since April 10 remains shaky, with both sides reporting numerous breaches.
Saudi Arabia, which perceives Yemen to the south as its backyard, accuses the Houthis of acting as Iranian proxy. The rebels accuse the Saudis of using Yemen as a stage for settling its scores with the Shiite power Iran, Saudi Arabia’s rival.
Brig. Gen. Ahmed al-
Asiri, the coalition spokesman, has claimed international rights groups and U.N. agencies are issuing misleading reports and depending on the Houthis as the primary source of information. Al-Asiri could not immediately be reached for a comment on the HRW report.
HRW said its report was based on interviews with 37 witnesses in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, and the city of Hodeida, as well as studies of remnants of munitions found on the site of the bombed facilities. It also said that in at least six of the sites, munitions were produced or supplied by the United States and Great Britain. Ahmed Al-Haj, Sanaa, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Spain | Hundreds attend funeral of gored ...

Next Article

US 2016 election campaign | NAFTA a ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      USA | Clashes over national security mark 5th Republican debate

      December 17, 2015
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Parts of Chinese city sealed for bubonic plague

      July 24, 2014
      By -
    • World

      World Briefs

      July 1, 2015
      By -
    • World

      Peace in peril as South Sudan violence spurs split in opposition

      July 26, 2016
      By -
    • World

      World Briefs

      July 2, 2015
      By -
    • World

      USA | Trump says he wants stronger gun checks, but reneged in past

      August 6, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Sports

      Football | Early exit looming for Sanfrecce in Asian Champions League

    • Macau

      DSEDJ warns of heavy traffic for new school year

    • Asia-Pacific

      ASEAN diplomats discussing crisis envoy, aid to Myanmar

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d