MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Sports
Home›Sports›Rugby | Top stars voice concerns about planned global league

Rugby | Top stars voice concerns about planned global league

By -
March 1, 2019
0
0
Share:

England’s Owen Farrell

The top players in world rugby expressed their concern about a proposed new global competition, saying it is “out of touch” and could damage the “integrity” of the sport at the highest level.

Captains of nine of the world’s top 10 nations were among the players speaking on a conference call set up by the International Rugby Players (IRP) council to discuss the likely impact of the planned World Rugby Nations Championship. The competition would see 12 leading countries play each other once per year toward a playoff series that leads to the top northern and southern hemisphere sides meeting in a final.

Concerns raised by members of the IRP council surrounded player welfare, conflict between club and country, the lack of opportunities for Tier Two nations, and the impact on the quality of the international game.

Ireland flyhalf Jonathan Sexton, the 2018 world player of the year, said there had been “little consideration” by governing body World Rugby about the issues raised previously by players.

“The issue of player load has never been so topical, however needs to be properly understood,” said Sexton, who is president of the IRP. “To suggest that players can play five incredibly high-level test matches in consecutive weeks in November, is out of touch and shows little understanding of the physical strain this brings.”

New Zealand captain Kieran Read described the upcoming period as a “crucial moment for rugby” that players are “generally excited about” but underlined there needed to be a balance between commercial needs, player welfare, and the integrity of matches.

“Fans want to see meaningful games,” Read said. “They don’t want to see fatigued players playing a reduced quality of rugby as part of a money-driven, weakened competition that doesn’t work for the players or clubs.”

Chief executives from the top unions and tournaments attended a meeting in Los Angeles last month about the proposed new global competition . The aim is to provide greater context to the international game, which has test matches in June and November along with the northern hemisphere’s Six Nations tournament in February-March, and the southern hemisphere’s Rugby Championship in August to October.

World Rugby said at the time that the meeting was “positive and productive” and it would “continue exploring the viability of potential global competition formats.”

Reacting to the latest comments by members of the IRP, World Rugby said yesterday they were “surprising given (the) regular engagement throughout this ongoing process.” It added the governing body’s commitment to player welfare is “unwavering.” AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

World briefs

Next Article

Football | Liverpool, City win to set ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Sports

      Skating champion Hanyu wins Four Continents

      February 10, 2020
      By -
    • Sports

      Irish football team sorry for falsely reporting player’s death

      November 29, 2018
      By -
    • Sports

      Football | La Liga Navas sees opportunity, not logjam, at Real Madrid

      August 7, 2014
      By -
    • Sports

      Japan Olympic minister resigns over disaster gaffe

      April 11, 2019
      By -
    • HeadlinesSports

      World Cup final preview | Youthful, energetic French vs experienced Croats

      July 13, 2018
      By -
    • Sports

      Baseball | Red Sox star Pedroia says why such a fuss over sign stealing

      September 8, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Quarantine cut to seven days from Aug. 6, foreign tourists still banned

    • Opinion

      World Views | Schools can reopen safely – an epidemiologist describes what works and what’s not worth the effort

    • HeadlinesSports

      Rio | Bolt shines bright, wins another gold in Olympic 100

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d