MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Senior Prosecutor surprised by call to return from unpaid leave
Kong Chi

Senior Prosecutor surprised by call to return from unpaid leave

By Anthony Lam, MDT
October 26, 2023
0
0
Share:

Senior prosecutor Kong Chi disclosed for the first time that his unpaid leave was taken to accompany his mother’s psychotherapy appointments, and that he had been surprised about being summoned from the holidays.

He also said that he had been residing in mainland China throughout the used portion of his leave. In addition, he said that he had tried to help his mother stabilize her mental condition, and he had no intention to flee, according to local media All About Macau.

His leave started on Feb. 7, 2022 and was set to last for two years. His last departure from Macau took place on Jan. 19, 2023.

When he was asked by the defense lawyer about the details of his unpaid leave, he said that he had been living in mainland China. In March, he said, he received a phone call and a letter from the Public Prosecutions Office (MP), summoning him to return to the MP within 48 hours. However, he did not honor the summons.

In explanation, the senior prosecutor said that he was at the time waiting for his mother’s psychiatric medications. Moreover, he could not locate his Macau ID. This is why he did not return to Macau.

Although not understanding why he was summoned by the MP, he felt embarrassed to seek help from his colleagues. Nonetheless, he said, he feared that once in Macau, he would be put under custody or prohibited from leaving Macau, and so would not be able to help his mother with medications. Even now he questioned how he should have dealt with the situation.

On the question as to whether he fled or not, he said that if he does not return to work after the official cessation of his unpaid leave, he should then be considered as having fled.

A recent hearing revolved around Kong’s financial situation.

The prosecution pointed out that a loan Kong made to Keong Iok Peng came with a condition that Kong’s brother, Kong Peng, be hired by Keong’s restaurant, and queried the reason for this.

Kong said that it was for his own protection, although in the end Keong had repaid the debt regularly.

The prosecution then questioned Kong about the large quantity of cash and jewelry in the latter’s safe. Kong explained that they were his entire savings, as well as money that his mother gave him.

Then, the prosecution went on to question him about the HKD710,000 cash in the safe, which far surpassed the threshold for asset declaration. Kong said that the sum was saved to exchange currency with Choi Sao Ieng, the second defendant.

In response to the prosecution’s request for evidence, Kong admitted that although he had hired lawyers, as a person under custody, there was not much that he could do. He said he had faced difficulty contacting witnesses because his phone was also held by police.

He added that before working as a prosecutor, he had worked in the legal translation office of the government and earned 485 salary points per month, in an attempt to explain the source of his assets. He hoped the court would be able to take this into account.

On his style of handling cases, Kong was asked by the defense lawyer about details and key evidence of several cases that he had archived. Kong said that he is a more relaxed type of prosecutor, meaning that without strong evidential proof, cases would not be brought to court. However, he claimed that he is also rigorous, as over 80% of the cases that were brought to court by him resulted in a conviction.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Gov’t launches awaited public tender for 500 ...

Next Article

FIA to accredit Macau F3, GT ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      MGS Entertainment Show | Academic: Brand loyalty key to gambling industry recovery

      November 19, 2021
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t considers consumption campaign to stimulate ZAPE economy

      August 14, 2025
      By Yuki Lei, MDT
    • Macau

      New 24-hour self-service center launched at ‘Three Lamps’

      February 13, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      Lionel Leong meets with gaming operators

      September 23, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      Sands China earnings miss estimates as VIPs stay away

      January 30, 2015
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Trade unionist lawmakers defend conformity to mainland Covid-19 measures

      November 15, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Study reveals mental health challenges among unmarried and lower-income gaming workers

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Universal suffrage a consensus between democrats and Ho Iat Seng

    • World

      Terror threatens Cameron’s EU pitch, Merkel’s open door

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d