MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Thai tourism authority confirms Macau travelers to face quarantine

Thai tourism authority confirms Macau travelers to face quarantine

By Renato Marques, MDT
March 10, 2020
0
0
Share:

Flight crew wear protective masks as they arrive at the Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok

After last week’s conflicting statements from Thai health authorities on the need for people arriving in Thailand from nine countries and two regions to undergo a 14-day quarantine period, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has now released a new statement reaffirming the need for such restrictions, and contradicting the clarification made last Friday by the health ministry.

In the new statement from the TAT, the Thai government says that the country “has now enhanced precaution and prevention measures for Covid-19,” explaining that “all travelers are asked to fill in the public health declaration form and those traveling from the People’s Republic of China (including Hong Kong and Macau Special Administrative Regions), Republic of Korea, Republic of Italy, and the Islamic Republic of Iran will undergo 14 days [of] quarantine when they enter the kingdom.”

Details about the quarantine procedure will be revealed in an announcement to be published shortly.

Travel to Thailand has already slumped, but the overall stance is set to further deter tourists from the six territories while the measures are in place.

Other countries have imposed restrictions on people coming from China, the epicenter of the outbreak, but few are as reliant on Chinese tourists as Thailand. They spent more than $17 billion in the Southeast Asian nation last year, over a quarter of all foreign-tourism receipts, and the industry as a whole accounts for about a fifth of the economy.

On Friday the Thai health ministry said that while a two-week self-quarantine period was not compulsory, it was recommended, contradicting comments made the day before. Public Health Ministry spokesman Rungrueng Kiphati told Reuters that “people arriving from those six places [South Korea, China, Macau, Hong Kong, Italy, and Iran] would be fined 20,000 baht if they did not self-quarantine for 14 days at home or in a hotel room, where they have to report themselves to the authorities every day or officials will come to check on them.”

The new statement adds to the confusion over whether the government is ordering or recommending travelers quarantine for 14 days.

In comments to several media outlets, Thailand government officials have rushed to clarify that the first statement from Public Health Ministry spokesman contained a “mistake” since laws in Thailand do not allow for forced quarantine, or establish penalties for non-Thai nationals.

Tanarak Plipat, deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control, told the media that the health ministry was preparing regulations requiring all arrivals from the six regions to report their health condition daily, noting that the unpublished new rules include a fine (potentially up to 20,000 baht) for those that fail to comply or issue false reports about their condition.

The new warning by TAT has sparked controversy and conversation, especially on the TAT HK Facebook page, with dozens of Hong Kong citizens grilling Thai authorities about the measures.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Shun Tak, CTII to create new company ...

Next Article

Students make positive evaluation of remote learning

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Road projects face delays amid increased excavation activity

      January 13, 2025
      By -
    • AdvertorialMacau

      GalaxyArt Gallery Unveiled to Support Local Arts and Cultural Development

      July 28, 2021
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      First edition of the Macao Cup International Regatta kicks off today

      January 10, 2019
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      More than functionality, experts advocate for leadership and social value

      December 12, 2024
      By -
    • Macau

      Experts: Tender process and new awardees expected even before year-end

      July 8, 2022
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesWorld

      No end in sight for Ukraine war as Russian leader hails Victory Day

      May 10, 2022
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Kirby considering role as marathon ambassador

    • World

      This Day in History | 1944 – Paris is liberated as Germans surrender

    • Macau

      Briefs | Zhang Rongshun resigns from NPC

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d