MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›The Buzz | Hong Kong police reject labor group’s request for May 1 march

The Buzz | Hong Kong police reject labor group’s request for May 1 march

By -
April 27, 2020
0
0
Share:

Hong Kong police rejected an application by a pro-democracy labor group to hold a march on May 1, citing concerns about public health and security risks, the government said in a statement on Friday.
The Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions had proposed to hold the march in groups of four spaced at least 1.5 meters apart. It expressed concern in a Facebook post that the police were using laws against gathering to suppress freedom of expression and called for a detailed explanation.
“We will appeal and are in talks with lawyers,” Carol Ng, chairperson of the confederation said in a video posted on the group’s Facebook page. “We understand the need to balance public health and to continue with the anti-gathering measures.’’
Police regarded public meetings and processions as “high-risk activities with crowd gatherings,” according to the government statement. They cited the increased risk of spreading coronavirus among participants as well as concerns about public safety.
Pro-democracy protesters staged a demonstration at a luxury downtown mall at lunchtime on Friday in defiance of the ban on gatherings of more than four people. About 100 people rallied at the International Finance Centre in Central in one of the largest protests since the coronavirus outbreak began earlier this year.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Tagsthe buzz
Previous Article

HK bookstore under attack in China reopens ...

Next Article

Diary of Samuel Pepys shows how life ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      China complains to South Korean ambassador in tit-for-tat move after Seoul summoned envoy

      June 12, 2023
      By -
    • BuzzWorld

      A Mega Millions ticket sold in Florida wins $1.58 billion jackpot, the third-largest in US history

      August 10, 2023
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Coffee, Ikea furniture, livestock among the Macau-bound objects stuck at the Suez Canal

      April 1, 2021
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | UEFA explores creating third European club competition

      September 18, 2015
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | The Chinese utility buys 49% of Oman power grid

      December 18, 2019
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Coronavirus-wary Bavarians kick off toned-down Oktoberfest

      September 21, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      NPC | Courts praised for punishing state security crimes

    • Macau

      Mop1 billion in 2016 | Secretary Rosário says light rail budget is as forecast

    • China

      Biggest pro-democracy party moves to disband as freedoms dwindle

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d