MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›The Star under fire for ongoing relationship with Alvin Chau
Gaming

The Star under fire for ongoing relationship with Alvin Chau

By Lynzy Valles, MDT
April 12, 2022
1
0
Share:

The Star Entertainment Group general counsel Andrew Power was quizzed on Monday about why the gaming operator has continued dealing with junket operator Suncity after it became aware, via an internal report, of the group’s alleged links to organized crime.

The inquiry was told that Power was presented, in October 2020, with a report from Star’s due diligence officer containing “four important strands of information” related to Suncity, including the alleged “triad antecedents” of its backer Alvin Chau, as cited in a report issued by the Australian Associated Press.

Last week, the casino’s chief financial crime officer, Skye Arnott, acknowledged the relationship, despite being aware that Chau had “very unsavory business associations” linked to the drug trade, money laundering and organized crime.

The report pertained to the Hong Kong Jockey Club report, where it noted that Suncity laundered about AUD2 million per day in cash from 2013 to 2015, adding that the junket mogul was a “threat” and would pose “tangible criminal [and] reputational risks” for the club. 

In an inquiry yesterday, the counsel asked whether the only appropriate decision was to exclude Chau from dealing with The Star as part of the duty of an anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing compliance officer.

The inquiry was also told that Power later provided a “marked up” version of the report to the casino’s due diligence officer, which had removed criticisms of the way The Star dealt with Suncity and Chau in order to “sanitize” the document, according to the Australian news agency. 

Power admitted that there was no recommendation about whether it was suitable for The Star to deal with Chau up until his arrest in November 2021. 

The inquiry also questioned the official about the controversial deployment of China Union Pay cards for VIP patrons to purchase gambling chips at The Star. Although Power said he was not aware of “dummy invoices” related to the cards, he admitted that there was “a practice of dummy rooms being assigned.”

Last month, the inquiry heard that casino disguised AUD900 million worth of Chinese debit card gambling transactions as hotel expenses, and then misled banks in an attempt to conceal the massive instance of fraud.

An inquiry in late March revealed that Chinese high-rollers were allegedly encouraged to deposit millions of dollars into a junket operator’s Macau bank account, where a middle man was present. Clients would deposit tens of millions in cash into his Macau bank accounts, which would later be transferred to The Star from an Australian bank account.

As executive has admitted that at least AUD76 million (around MOP460 million) had been transferred to the casino through a back channel over a period of nine months in 2018 and 2019.

The inquiry is ongoing as part of a regular review of The Star’s casino license. The inquiry, slated to continue today, is determining Star’s suitability to run its flagship casino in Sydney. 

                              

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsGaming
Previous Article

Commercial property loans increased by 200%

Next Article

CE to attend plenary session today

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gaming shares plunge amid casino closures

      July 12, 2022
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • Business

      Gaming | Melco Crown announces pay rise

      March 24, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      JP Morgan flags ‘not so Golden Week’ and cuts October gaming forecast

      October 15, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT
    • Breaking NewsMacau

      Gaming: Mid-term report focused on need to diversify, regulate junkets

      May 11, 2016
      By Paulo Barbosa
    • Breaking NewsHeadlinesMacau

      Sheldon Adelson passes away at 87

      January 12, 2021
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Citi: High-roller and premium mass gaming remains ‘golden’

      October 7, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT

    • World

      World briefs

    • World

      World briefs

    • Macau

      Health | MERS scare reaches Macau

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d