MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in History | 2004 Angry dads hit Blair with purple flour

This Day in History | 2004 Angry dads hit Blair with purple flour

By -
May 19, 2020
0
0
Share:

Protesters have hurled condoms full of purple flour at British Prime Minister Tony Blair as he addressed MPs in the House of Commons, prompting an urgent review of security.
The PM was speaking at the despatch box during his weekly question and answer session soon after midday when father-of-two Ron Davies threw two missiles from the front of the public gallery normally reserved for VIPs.
A second man, Guy Harrison, shouted and held up a poster, before police rushed in and arrested the men.
As one missile hit the PM’s back and another landed at his feet, Mr Blair turned around and looked bemused.
The Speaker, Michael Martin, ordered all MPs to leave the chamber while the powder was examined and found to be safe.
Campaign group Fathers 4 Justice said they had orchestrated the incident to demand equal rights for divorced fathers trying to gain access to their children.
The attack has led to calls for improved security at Westminster.
Only last month a £600,000 security screen was installed in front of the public gallery to prevent such an incident.
But the front three rows – normally reserved for ambassadors and guests of MPs and peers – are not protected.
In a later statement to the House of Lords, Labour peer Baroness Golding said the two protesters were guests of hers and she offered “unreserved apologies” to the Speaker, MPs and fellow peers.
It is believed the two men got tickets to the VIP section of the gallery at a charity auction.
Mr Blair’s spokesman said the prime minister wanted to know when he could return to finish question time – but the Speaker vetoed the move.
Commons business recommenced at 1330 BST.
Home Secretary David Blunkett said a security review had already been launched at Westminster after recent breaches at Buckingham Palace.
The security services will bring forward recommendations “very quickly indeed”, but it could mean there will be more restrictions on access to Parliament, he said.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

Ron Davis and Guy Harrison were both convicted of disorderly behaviour and fined £500 and £600 respectively.
A cross-party group of MPs condemned the media coverage of the flour bomb attack saying it had “rewarded” Fathers 4 Justice for their actions.
Fathers 4 Justice continued to organise various stunts climbing onto well-known landmarks, such as York Minster, Buckingham Palace and St Paul’s cathedral, dressed as superheroes to highlight their cause.
Their membership increased by thousands and branches were opened in other parts of the world.
A security review of the House of Commons led by MI5 did not prevent further intrusions into Parliament.
In September 2004, five protesters broke into the Commons chamber to demonstrate against the ban on foxhunting.
In January 2006, Fathers 4 Justice disbanded following reports linking the group to a plan to kidnap Tony Blair’s five-year-old son Leo. It re-formed following a protest stunt on the BBC’s National Lottery Show in May 2006.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsThis Day in History
Previous Article

Trump aide accuses China of using travelers ...

Next Article

Pandemic Probe | Russia, Australia join growing ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • This Day In History

      1984 Europe grants emergency aid for Ethiopia

      October 25, 2024
      By -
    • World

      This day in history | 2001 Thousands greet Pope in Syrian visit

      May 7, 2021
      By -
    • This Day In History

      2003 US launches missiles against Saddam

      March 20, 2026
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History: 1969 Lulu ties knot with Bee Gee

      February 18, 2015
      By -
    • Uncategorized

      1950 US and Europe agree Nato aims

      May 18, 2022
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History: 1997 Dawn of Scottish parliament

      December 18, 2014
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Business

      More foreign Vegas visits don’t equal more tips, workers say

    • Macau

      Ho Iat Seng: Macau targets 60% non-gaming value by 2028

    • Asia-Pacific

      Delhi court charges Uber driver in rape case 

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d