MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Visitor arrivals remain subdued, unlikely to face rapid recovery

Visitor arrivals remain subdued, unlikely to face rapid recovery

By Lynzy Valles, MDT
February 21, 2020
1
0
Share:

A slight increase in the number of tourist arrivals to the Macau SAR was recorded in the few days prior to the casino openings, which opened their gates to the public at midnight Thursday.
Data announced yesterday by the Public Security Police Force shows that from January 27 to February 19, Macau received a total of 220,000 tourist arrivals, representing a 92% year-on-year decrease.
As of 4 p.m. yesterday, there was a total of only 2,920 tourist arrivals going through the city’s immigration checkpoints – a figure lower than yesterday.
On Wednesday, the SAR recorded a total of 5,800 incoming tourist arrivals, nearly double that of the day before.
However, numbers may not recover anytime soon, as visitors from Macau’s top source market are still mostly blocked from traveling to the region due to the Chinese central government’s suspension of the individual visit scheme.
The Chinese government is still banning overseas tours and the purchase of flights and hotels abroad, calling on travel agencies to suspend package tours, which account for more than half of the country’s outbound travel.
The city’s tourism figures are therefore expected to be significantly down, at least in the first quarter or half of the year.
The tourism authority told the Times that it would need to revise a negative growth forecast for 2020 made last year.
“For the year of 2020, MGTO forecasted a decrease in visitor arrivals and will further revise the forecast in consideration of the coronavirus outbreak,” said MGTO. “Support measures for affected sectors are being considered and may come in due course, nevertheless, at this stage the priority is to first and foremost contain the virus.”
Since the Covid-19 outbreak, the SAR has turned into a ghost town, with usually crowded places seen with almost no residents or tourists walking around.
The outbreak of Covid-19 has affected travel and led to a decrease of 78.3% in visitor arrivals during this year’s Spring Festival, among which the major visitor source market – mainland China – dropped by more than 80%, while visitors from Hong Kong, Taiwan region and international markets have all reduced by half.
Around this time last year, the SAR was recording around 126,000 daily tourist arrivals, which means that arrivals for this month have fallen by about 96%.
Yesterday, Taiwanese budget airline Tigerair Taiwan said that it had extended its service cancellations for all its flights to and from Macau in April, while other flights to and from Southeast Asia have been cancelled until the end of March.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Over half of gaming workers concerned about ...

Next Article

Seven hotels resume operation as casinos open

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Unemployment rate remains unchanged

      January 27, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Tam expects budget increase

      October 10, 2017
      By -
    • BusinessMacau

      Ask the Vet | Natural Immune System Boosters for Dogs

      September 14, 2015
      By -
    • AdvertorialMacau

      Sands China Providing Discounts to Macao Residents with ‘Exclusive Dual Celebration Offers’

      November 1, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesWorld

      Migrant crisis | German Jews divided over fears of one million Muslim newcomers

      May 4, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Taipa light rail sees increase in passengers

      September 5, 2024
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Covid-19 relapse recorded at airport

    • HeadlinesWorld

      Brasilia on fire | Brazil president revokes order deploying troops in capital

    • Macau

      Cooperation | Maritime Silk Road Association and IIM promote joint initiative

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d