MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›House moves on North Korea sanctions bill after bomb test

House moves on North Korea sanctions bill after bomb test

By -
January 13, 2016
1
0
Share:
House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., left, talks with the committee’s ranking member Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y. on Capitol Hill in Washington

House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., left, talks with the committee’s ranking member Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y. on Capitol Hill in Washington

The U.S. House of Representatives House pushed ahead on legislation that seeks to punish North Korea for its latest nuclear test by expanding sanctions on Pyongyang, a move with strong bipartisan support despite questions over how effective the new restrictions can be.
Lawmakers are scheduled to vote today (Macau time) on the North Korea Sanctions Enforcement Act, which proposes to deny North Korea the hard currency they say it needs for its weapons programs. Holding the vote tomorrow puts it on the same day as President Barack Obama’s final State of the Union address.
But former State Department officials said any new sanctions won’t have teeth unless China makes a major shift in policy toward its rebellious ally. Separately, a panel of experts on North Korea said existing United Nations sanctions against the reclusive country are going unenforced.
The House bill is sponsored by Rep. Ed Royce, the Republican chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. The new sanctions would put “targeted economic financial pressure” on North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Royce said Monday ahead of the vote, arguing that a failure to respond aggressively will embolden Pyongyang.
Rep. Eliot Engel, the committee’s top Democrat, said Kim is on a “dangerous, destabilizing course” and the U.S. needs to act unilaterally to show the North Koreans that “there are consequences for their actions.”
Royce’s committee unanimously approved the measure in February 2015 and it remained there until last week when North Korea announced it had conducted a fourth nuclear test — this one detonating a thermonuclear device with massive destructive power.
The announcement was met with doubt North Korea had set off a hydrogen bomb, which would mark a major technological advance for Pyongyang’s limited nuclear arsenal. But it could take weeks or even longer to confirm or refute the claim. Yet lawmakers are pushing ahead.
In the wake of the announcement, Republicans derided the Obama administration for not being more forceful in its policy toward North Korea. Royce said the administration’s approach of “strategic patience” toward North Korea has failed to stop its nuclear program.
It’s uncertain what the bill’s prospects will be in the Senate if it’s passed by the House.
But Sen. Bob Corker, the Republican chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he wants the U.S. and its allies “to take a more assertive role in addressing North Korea’s provocation.”
A central part of Royce’s legislation is to make so-called “blocking sanctions” mandatory rather than discretionary as currently permitted through existing regulations. The sanctions are mandated against any country, business or individual that materially contributes to North Korea’s nuclear and ballistic missile development, imports luxury goods into North Korea, or engages with Pyongyang in money laundering, the manufacture of counterfeit goods, or narcotics trafficking, according to the legislation.
A similar tactic was used by the Treasury Department a decade ago, Royce said, and it drained North Korea of the hard currency essential for buying the parts and supplies necessary for weapons development and missile production. Nor did Pyongyang have enough money to pay its army or police forces.
But Joseph DeThomas, a former senior State Department official who advised on Iran and North Korea sanctions policy until February 2013, said new sanctions wouldn’t force change in Pyongyang unless China is convinced of the strategic consequence of North Korea having nuclear weapons that could threaten America. Richard Lardner, Washington, AP

CNN reports American detained by North Korean government

The government of North Korea has detained a U.S. citizen on suspicion of spying, CNN reported this week.
It said a man identified as Kim Dong Chul was being held by the Pyongyang government and said authorities had accused him of engaging in spying and stealing state secrets.
In an interview with a CNN correspondent, Kim said he had traveled extensively in recent years between China and North Korea and had made some trips to South Korea as well.
In Washington, State Department spokesman John Kirby said he could not confirm the report. He declined to discuss the issue further or confirm whether the U.S. was consulting with Sweden, which handles U.S. consular issues in North Korea because Washington and Pyongyang do not have diplomatic relations.
“We are looking into the matter, and when we have more that we can say — if we have more that we can say — we will,” Kirby told reporters.
CNN displayed Kim’s US passport and said he had lived in China for many years, but also had resided in Fairfax, Virginia.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Myanmar | Suu Kyi takes part in ...

Next Article

India | More than 80 whales wash ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      Space | Japan to make crater on asteroid to get underground samples

      March 19, 2019
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Military courts sentence 12 to life for human trafficking, including Chinese nationals

      August 4, 2025
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Mattis criticizes N. Korea ahead of talks with Japan, S. Korea

      February 3, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Japan | Air bag recalls, lawsuits lead Takata to file for bankruptcy

      June 27, 2017
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Philippines | AirAsia plane with 159 aboard overshoots runway

      December 31, 2014
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      India | Air travel booms in the country, strains creaky infrastructure

      February 19, 2016
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Asia-PacificBreaking NewsMacau

      Asia Today: India sees 83,000 new cases, but numbers falling

    • Macau

      Briefs | Two suspected of luxury watch fraud involving 80 million patacas

    • Greater BayHeadlines

      HK peg architect slams ‘naive’ BoE report

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d