MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Authorities are ‘bending the rules’ to claim illegal assembly, Scott Chiang says

Authorities are ‘bending the rules’ to claim illegal assembly, Scott Chiang says

By Renato Marques, MDT
June 17, 2021
0
0
Share:

Pro-democracy activist and candidate to this year’s Legislative Assembly elections, Scott Chiang, thinks that judiciary authorities were bending the rules when they found him guilty for the crime of illegal assembly, in the case sentenced by the Court of First Instance (TJB) about two years ago.
“The authorities twisted it and bent the rules a little bit so they could fit the event into the wrong category [and characterize it] as illegal assembly and a hazard to public safety and make a big fuss out of it,” Chiang said. He added that the decision from TSI was not a surprising one.
“Now the narrative has been shifted towards illegal assembly or demonstration, but I wanted to point out that it was just two guys with a piece of paper in the hand trying to deliver it to the residence [of the Chief Executive (CE)]. It is as simple as that,” he said.
“I have tried many times [after this event] to pass in front of the [CE official] residence back and forth and I had no problem in doing that. So the only difference I can perceive is regarding the content of the piece of paper and the recipient of it.”
Chiang’s comments came on the sidelines of the delivery of a different petition on Tuesday to the government on another topic and were prompted by the news of the Court of Second Instance’s (TSI) decision late last week, which dismissed Chiang’s appeals from that sentence and upheld the original sentence.
For Chiang, what was thrown into question in this case was the liberty of any citizen to deliver a message to the government’s highest official, a form of communication and expression that should be championed by the law.
Chiang noted that the accusations were based on the disruption caused by his actions. “As I pointed out both inside and outside the court, there were more police officers on-site than citizens – even more than journalists – so how was I the one blocking traffic? Who was making the trouble out of nothing? It was not me!” he rhetorically asked.
Questioned on his feelings about the final verdict from the courts, Chiang said, “I would like to say that I don’t agree with the verdict but that I respect the decision from the court. But respect is a very strong word to me so I choose not to use it this time,” he concluded.
On May 14, 2019, he was found guilty by TJB in a retrial for the crime of illegal assembly. He was ordered to pay a fine of 24,000 patacas.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

China set to send first crew to ...

Next Article

Young male not identified as imported case ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Crime | Fake Macau IDs discovered among construction workers

      October 23, 2018
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Hong Kong | Daily local infections remain above 100

      July 24, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gaming | China’s new crime amendment could cripple Macau’s 2021 VIP sector: experts

      December 30, 2020
      By -
    • Macau

      Cross-border vehicle traffic hikes 76% in February

      April 3, 2023
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Tourism | Bollywood actress Fatima Shaikh promotes Macau

      August 30, 2019
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Young Entrepreneur Incubation Center with over 60 projects running

      September 19, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Opinion

      World Views | The West should beware of the Korean peace trap

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Aircraft carrier celebrated on Hong Kong port call 

    • Macau

      Civil servant chief forced to retire

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d