MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Covid-19 | 100 days without a new locally-transmitted case

Covid-19 | 100 days without a new locally-transmitted case

By Daniel Beitler, MDT
July 8, 2020
2
0
Share:

Yesterday marked the 100th consecutive day without a new case of Covid-19 in Macau, according to the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Center, even as two people connected to the SAR have tested positive for the coronavirus in the last two weeks.
Macau has registered 46 cases of Covid-19 since the virus first spread to the SAR in late January. The territory has just one active case, while the other 45 people have been cured.
Last month, the Times reported that the SAR was one of just 15 countries and territories to have reportedly eliminated Covid-19, with most of the others being small island nations that are distant from Covid-19 epicenters. That is a view shared by local health authorities, who yesterday marked 100 days since the last non-imported case was registered in the city.
The Health Bureau (SSM) told Macau Daily Times yesterday that the count excludes cases that are being treated as imported. An official representative said that the criteria used to determine local and imported cases in Macau adhere to World Health Organization guidelines.
The last non-imported case was confirmed on March 28. The individual, a 32-year-old male resident of Portuguese nationality, was confirmed as the 37th case of the coronavirus in Macau.
He was the fiancé of the 11th case, a non-resident worker of Korean nationality, and both had visited relatives in the northern Portuguese city of Porto, before returning to Macau via Dubai and Hong Kong. Initially, upon his entry to Macau, the fiancée had tested negative for the coronavirus. Accordingly, the SSM treated his later infection as a local case, while his partner was considered to be an imported case.
The following nine cases to be reported in Macau have all been categorized as imported cases and therefore do not count towards the SSM’s 100-day tally.
The most recent case recognized by Macau health authorities concerns a 57-year-old resident who arrived in Macau on June 25 via the special ferry service from Hong Kong International Airport. He is currently receiving treatment at the public hospital.
On Sunday, news broke of a Macau-based migrant worker from the Philippines who had tested positive for Covid-19 in her home country about two weeks after departing the Macau SAR.
Health authorities in Macau say that, judging from the timeline and the current virus conditions in the Philippines, “it is not likely she contracted the virus in Macau.”
Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for the Philippines, Dodo Dulay, mistakenly wrote on his Twitter account yesterday that the former migrant worker was “the only active Covid case in Macau at present.” The Consul General at the Philippine Consulate General in Macau, Lilybeth Deapera, promptly corrected Dulay, to note that the single outstanding case is another individual who happened to return from vacationing in the Philippines.
The Southeast Asian nation had recorded more than 46,000 cases and 1,300 deaths from Covid-19 as of Monday night.
Nobody has died from Covid-19 in Macau to date, and there is no record of any infection among healthcare professionals and other frontline staff.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Air Macau crew face hefty pay cut ...

Next Article

Jiangmen association blames Covid-19 for ‘donation retraction’

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      LRT plan draws ferocious opposition in consultation session

      July 28, 2014
      By -
    • Macau

      Macau and Zhuhai co-tested boxed tissue and sanitary napkins

      November 5, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      IC cancels int’l parade due to epidemic prevention measures

      September 30, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      AL Plenary | LRT major projects carried out on time, Rosário says

      January 14, 2019
      By Julie Zhu, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gaming | Brokerages revise December GGR higher on mass strength

      December 19, 2018
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Macau sees record tourist arrivals, surpassing pre-pandemic numbers

      October 4, 2024
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      ANM petition to parliament on old trees awaits gov’t responses

    • Macau

      New library expected to open by 2020

    • Macau

      HK group slams DSPA for mistaken diagrams on dolphin habitats

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d