MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Greater BayHeadlines
Home›Greater Bay›Crowds flood Hong Kong court to support jailed activist appeal

Crowds flood Hong Kong court to support jailed activist appeal

By -
October 10, 2019
0
0
Share:

Hundreds of protesters flooded a Hong Kong court to support the appeals case of a jailed activist yesterday as the city continued to clean up from a weekend of unprecedented violence, with the subway system set to close early for the sixth straight day.

The crowds gathered outside of Hong Kong’s High Court in the central Admiralty neighborhood, where self-described “localist” Edward Leung, 28, was expected to appear at an appeal hearing. Leung had been sentenced to six years in prison last year for helping to lead a 2016 riot that was one of the worst outbreaks of unrest the city had witnessed at the time.

The crowd of protesters – many wearing masks, despite a recent ban on face coverings that prompted clashes over the weekend – chanted “Release Edward Leung!” After hearing arguments from both sides in court, a three-judge panel adjourned and said they would rule at a later date, Radio Television Hong Kong reported.

Leung’s more radical approach has gained traction in the recent protests, which have been raging for four months as of yesterday. The Asian financial hub was paralyzed in an unprecedented stretch of violent protests last weekend, as demonstrators threw Molotov cocktails and bricks at the police and vandalized several subway stations and bank branches.

Yesterday, the MTR Corp. said train service had mostly returned to normal even though numerous stations and exits remained shut due to “serious vandalism.” Service was ending at 8 p.m. to allow extra time for more repairs, the company said. The city was bracing for more protests this weekend.

Leung has a broad following among younger activists on the front lines of recent protests, and his 2016 campaign slogan “Liberate Hong Kong! Revolution of Our Time!” is chanted at almost every demonstration. He was subsequently among the first candidates banned for running in citywide elections, as the China-backed government asserted that his past support for independence conflicted with Hong Kong’s charter.

The so-called fish ball riot in 2016, which began as a protest against government restrictions on unlicensed street vendors during the Lunar New Year, shocked the city at the time. More than 90 police officers were injured and warning shots were fired into the air.

The sentencing judge in Leung’s case described the 2016 incident as “organized violence” carried out with a desire for “revenge” before handing down the second-most-severe penalty to a protester, according to the South China Morning Post newspaper. Leung was convicted for rioting under a colonial statute that authorities have increasingly used against protesters this year.

Two other defendants in the case, Lo Kin-man and Wong Ka-kui, are also appealing against their rioting convictions.

Although Leung lost an election for an open legislative seat weeks after the incident, he garnered 15% of the vote, demonstrating growing support for radical anti-China politics in Hong Kong. Several other candidates supporting independence or “self-determination” for the city subsequently won elections, but were removed for altering their oaths of office and other violations. Dominic Lau & Iain Marlow, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Bank of China leads way for Libor ...

Next Article

People’s Daily blasts Apple over app, protesters’ ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Policy Address | Lionel Leong Salary growth and labor import top lawmakers’ concerns

      November 28, 2016
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Culture | Lawyer film series opens tonight

      June 21, 2016
      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Macao Foundation greenlights 743 grants totaling MOP199 million in Q1

      May 6, 2026
      By Ricaela Diputado, MDT
    • Greater Bay

      Portuguese companies seek cooperation with Hengqin in scientific research

      March 28, 2024
      By -
    • Breaking NewsHeadlinesMacau

      Red Storm surge warning into force, no reports of flooding

      September 23, 2025
      By Times Reporter
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Housing | Youth unimpressed with gov’t plan for 2019

      December 18, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Crime | Jade scammer finally caught

    • Macau

      Gov’t in no position to offer remarks on UN corruption case

    • Asia-Pacific

      North Korea | Pyongyang cracking down on a distant threat: Ebola

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d