MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in History | 1991 – US Congress votes for war in Iraq

This Day in History | 1991 – US Congress votes for war in Iraq

By -
January 12, 2017
1
0
Share:

The United States Congress has voted to authorize the use of military force against Iraq to end its occupation of neighboring Kuwait.

The vote seals the United Nations’ 15 January deadline for the Iraqi President, Saddam Hussein, to order his troops out of Kuwait, or face military action.

After three days of sometimes heated debate, the House of Representatives passed the motion authorizing use of force by 250 votes to 183.

The Democrat-controlled Senate vote was far closer, at 52 to 47, but was not as narrow as had been feared.

It is the first time Congress has approved military action since the Gulf of Tonkin resolution in 1964 at the start of the Vietnam War, and it was by no means a foregone conclusion.

At times the Senate vote was too close to call, and some were predicting the president would be forced to go to war without Congressional backing.

The House of Representatives added one condition to the motion: that all diplomatic and peaceful means of averting war should be exhausted.

It has also made it clear it will withdraw its support if the war becomes prolonged or results in heavy casualties.

President Bush welcomed the votes, saying they represented the “last best chance for peace” and sent “the clearest message to Iraq that it cannot scorn the January 15 deadline”.

He said he had not yet made a final decision to launch an attack on Iraq, but warned it would be “sooner rather than later” if Saddam Hussein did not withdraw.

Senior Washington sources said the president had obtained permission from the British, Saudi Arabian and Egyptian governments to launch an attack at only a few minutes’ notice.

The tough line was reinforced by the British foreign secretary, Douglas Hurd, in Abu Dhabi on a trip to the Gulf. “He [Saddam] will be forced out,” he said. “We are coming to a decision on this. There is no reason for a long delay.”

In a last-minute effort to avert war with diplomacy, the UN Secretary-General, Javier Perez de Cuellar, arrived in the Iraqi capital Baghdad yesterday with his latest five-point peace plan endorsed by EC foreign ministers.

He met Tariq Aziz, the Iraqi Foreign Minister, this evening and is due to meet Saddam Hussein tomorrow. However, although Washington publicly supports his efforts, all preparations are for imminent war.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

The last-minute diplomacy by Perez de Cuellar and others came to nothing.

Iraq continued to refuse to comply with the UN ultimatum for its troops to withdraw from Kuwait, and at 2330 GMT on 16 January 1991, Operation Desert Storm began with a devastating aerial bombardment of Baghdad.

After more than a month of intensive air attacks, the Allies began a land offensive on 24 February. One day later, the Iraqi army began retreating.

On 28 February, President George Bush declared victory.

Kuwait was liberated, but the Gulf War left Saddam Hussein in power.

The US and Britain launched a second war against Iraq in 2003. Saddam Hussein was overthrown and captured. He was later tried for war crimes by an Iraqi court, sentenced to death and executed.

A democratically-elected government was sworn in after elections in 2005.

However, it has proved very difficult to find an acceptable balance of power between Iraq’s national groups, and the country continues to be destabilized by violent extremists.

American and British troops have so far been unable to pull out despite repeated guerrilla attacks which have killed more soldiers than the war itself.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Offbeat | Kardashian robbery probe: driver, 2 ...

Next Article

Journalist Clare Hollingworth, who broke news of ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Global finance meeting focuses on war-driven food insecurity

      April 20, 2022
      By -
    • HeadlinesWorld

      Kyiv mourns as rescuers make last-ditch efforts at children’s hospital hit by Russian missile

      July 10, 2024
      By -
    • World

      Russia declares victory in embattled Donbas region of Luhansk

      July 5, 2022
      By -
    • BuzzWorld

      A Syrian man is convicted of stabbing a Spanish tourist at Berlin’s Holocaust Memorial

      March 6, 2026
      By -
    • World

      The uphill battle for Black talent in Italian fashion

      January 27, 2026
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz: Oslo police suspect base jumping death at ski jump

      September 2, 2014
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Former PM Imran Khan gets 14-year prison sentence in third conviction

    • HeadlinesMacau

      SMG to lift T8 as Yagi moves away from Macau

    • Macau

      New Hengqin–Cotai water pipeline approved

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d