MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Economic recession | Chui Sai On says government prepared to intervene if needed

Economic recession | Chui Sai On says government prepared to intervene if needed

By -
September 23, 2019
0
0
Share:

Chief Executive Chui Sai On has pledged that the government will monitor the Macau SAR’s current economic situation and prepare any intervention needed to maintain the stability of the economy as a precaution. In doing so, Chui became the second senior official in the SAR to state that economic intervention might be necessary.
Earlier this month, Secretary for Economy and Finance Lionel Leong said that Macau’s recession period would continue into the third quarter. He also suggested the government could intervene if necessary.
During the 2019 Economic Development Council plenary meeting last week, the CE said that Macau’s economic performance in the second half of 2019 was likely to face downward pressure because of the volatile international economic situation and the increasing uncertainties in the global economy.
According to data released by the Statistics and Census Service late last month, the economy contracted by 1.8% year-on-year in the second quarter of 2019, following a 3.2% contraction in the first quarter. For the first six months of the year, Macau’s economy was down by 2.5% in real terms compared to last year.
Researchers at the University of Macau last week released their Macroeconomic Forecast for Macau 2019-2020, projecting that the city’s gross domestic product will decline by 0.8% across the whole of 2019, and contract 0.9% in 2020.
However, Chui reassured the public, saying that the government would make an effort to ensure the city’s economic development was maintained, as cited in a statement issued by the Government Information Bureau.
During the meeting, representatives from the Economic Development Council’s three task groups, which are focused on economic diversification, human resources and regional economic development respectively, presented reports on work that had been conducted over the past year.
According to Leong, who was at the meeting, the SAR had seen an “enhancement of its resilience and capabilities in relation to coping with adversity.”
Leong noted that this was judged by its stable employment figures, public finances, development in certain emerging industries, and the advancement of efforts regarding the city’s economic diversification.
The official then said that the government would speed up efforts to initiate large-scale public projects to prevent the economy from slowing down.
Previously, Leong had also expressed his concerns regarding a drop in the gross domestic product in the casino sector. Gross gaming revenue in the SAR dropped 8.6% year-on-year in August and 3.5% in July.
However, Leong believes that the fluctuation was the result of external incidents and factors, including the U.S.-China trade war, with the Renminbi exchange rates affecting the SAR.
Previously, the International Monetary Fund had warned that the Macau economy was facing several medium-term risks, including the diminishing spending power of mainland tourists. LV

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Retailers, restaurants report tough summer for business

Next Article

Tourism authority’s Los Angeles food truck wins ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Cooperation | Chinese foreign policy forges new links with Belt and Road plans

      June 13, 2016
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Gov’t grants Parisian extension

      February 22, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      Kim Jong Nam | Indonesian suspect paid to fly to Macau days before assassination

      February 26, 2018
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Two corpses discovered, one suspected suicide

      September 9, 2021
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Death of Liaison Office chief under investigation, crime ruled-out

      October 23, 2018
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Democrat lawmakers call for Tiananmen ‘rehabilitation’

      May 21, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Grand Lisboa Palace to host new residency show

    • China

      Inflation returns to above 1 percent but deflation risk looms

    • Greater Bay

      Chinese flag trampled amid street fires

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d