MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Five Macau residents granted asylum abroad

Five Macau residents granted asylum abroad

By -
July 12, 2016
1
0
Share:

Ch-1-Flag-of-the-United-Nations

At least five people from Macau were granted asylum abroad in 2015, according to the United Nations Refugee Agency’s (UNHCR) latest “Global Trends Report.”
The report, which is compiled from government data, says that five Macau-based individuals were granted refugee status last year, having proven that their safety would be jeopardized should they return to the MSAR. Twenty-four similar cases are still undergoing review.
No data was available on the number of refugees who were granted asylum in Macau in 2015, though the report indicated that there were seven pending cases at the end of 2015.
Meanwhile, refugees from Hong Kong living in other locations numbered 33 at the end of 2015, with 79 pending cases. Mainland China had about 212,000 refugees abroad and more than 57,000 pending cases at the end of the year.
For those seeking shelter in mainland China and Hong Kong, there were more than 300,000 and 133 people, respectively, at end-2015. Hong Kong is reviewing another 2,315 pending applications.
The UN report is subjective as it relies on government data, based on individual countries’ definitions and methods of data collection. UNHCR said the “origin” of a person seeking asylum may be based on nationality, area of birth or area of residence, depending on how each government measures the number of people.
UNHCR added that the number of asylum seekers in Macau, as well as those granted refugee status, have remained in the single digits since 2010. The main countries of origin for those seeking refuge in Macau are Syria, India, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Cameroon.
Asylum seekers are typically individuals who have left their home country as political refugees to seek protection in another location. They often believe that their area of residence is unable to afford them the same protection that they could obtain elsewhere.
According to the South China Morning Post, scholars say that the number of asylum seekers from Hong Kong – which has increased slightly – may be a reaction to civil unrest in the city, the presence of organized crime or the actions of the mainland government in recent years.
In 2011, UNHCR announced a new record of 42.5 million forcibly displaced people around the world. The number has since risen sharply each year and was around 65.3 million at the end of 2015.
The UN Refugee Agency said earlier this year that the current number of displaced people is the highest ever recorded. DB

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Health | Chinese Medicine Park delegation tours ...

Next Article

Labor | Filipino workers in Macau want ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Lula welcomes Xi for state visit as ties between countries strengthen

      November 22, 2024
      By -
    • Macau

      Gov’t urges Sin Fong Garden owners to reach consensus

      October 13, 2014
      By -
    • Macau

      Culture | Arts Festival kicks off 26th edition

      May 4, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      Six arrested in loan sharking case

      April 3, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      What is the ‘Macau Scam’?

      November 29, 2019
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Covid-19 | Singapore to operate transits for returning Macau residents

      June 8, 2021
      By Anthony Lam, MDT

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Shelling resumes near Ukraine nuclear plant, despite risks

    • World

      The Buzz | North India prepares for New Year’s enveloped in cold smog

    • HeadlinesWorld

      Powerful earthquake on Iran-Iraq border kills over 400

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d