MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Gaming | Resorts World Manila aims to win back trust

Gaming | Resorts World Manila aims to win back trust

By -
July 7, 2017
0
0
Share:

Resorts World Manila, the Philippine casino where 38 people died after an arson attack last month, aims to complete a new gaming zone this year as it seeks to win back customers and rebuild its brand.

“We’re spending a lot of time enhancing the overall security of the place and learning about what had happened,” Kingson Sian, 55, Chief Executive Officer at Travellers International Hotel Group Inc., which owns and operates the integrated casino resort, said in an interview on July 3. “We obviously have to gain back the trust of our guests and the public.”

Travellers, a venture of billionaires Andrew Tan from the Philippines and Lim Kok Thay of Malaysia, is facing its toughest challenge since opening the integrated gaming facility eight years ago. On June 2, a former patron burned gaming tables with fumes asphyxiating dozens before he killed himself. The company is under probe for the security breach that led to the attack and its gaming license was suspended for almost a month.

Closure of Resorts World Manila’s casino facility cost the company about 60 million pesos (USD1.2 million) a day in lost gaming revenue, Sian said, with customers to the complex, which has a shopping mall, cinemas and restaurants, dropping by as many as 10,000 a day to 20,000. Hotel occupancy plunged to 40 percent from 90 percent and is now at about 60 percent. When the casino reopened on June 29, traffic was half of that before the attack.

“While many of its mass- based patrons are loyal and will probably come back, the stigma from this tragedy is a setback for further growth,” said Manny Cruz, an analyst at Asiasec Securities. “Travellers must take this opportunity to improve its image, recalibrate its business and think of its future.”

Sian, who met with the families of those killed and attended victims’ wakes, said Travellers will hold off cutting jobs as it speeds up completion of a new gaming area. The company is compensating families and will pay for the education of victims’ children.

Travellers is trying to woo customers with cheaper movie tickets, food discounts and free parking. Its security team has been replaced, an overseas group hired as a consultant and, within a month, it plans to unveil an enhanced “containment style” defense system, Sian said.

Getting back to business is crucial as the venture of Tan’s Alliance Global Group Inc. and Lim’s Genting Hong Kong Ltd. aims to open by year end a casino floor larger than the one destroyed on June 2, six months earlier than scheduled, while the damaged area will be converted into a retail zone, Sian said.

Travellers holds one of four integrated casino licenses issued by the Philippines government in 2008 to develop Manila’s Entertainment City and grab a bigger share of Asia’s rising gambling revenue. The company has spent $1.2 billion since opening Resorts World Manila in 2009 and is scheduled to operate a $1 billion complex in Manila’s gaming hub by early 2021.

“It’s one of the sad events in our history but, nevertheless, we believe in the long term potential of the industry,” Sian said.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Kapok | The more the merrier, really?

Next Article

The Buzz | HK seizes USD9m worth ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      South Korean leader urges bolder steps from North Korea, US

      January 11, 2019
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Japan | Osaka to host 2025 World Expo, beating Russian city

      November 26, 2018
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Tight election may leave Australia with hung parliament

      July 4, 2016
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      China’s Xi ends Myanmar visit with flurry of agreements

      January 20, 2020
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Thailand | Authorities arrest students opposed to military rule

      January 22, 2016
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Australia alerted to suspected Malaysian airliner debris

      April 4, 2016
      By -

    • Macau

      Last show on Sunday | Blue Man Group unveils new elements at its gig at The Venetian Macao

    • China

      Australian charged over reports to suspected Chinese spies

    • Macau

      UK | May to outline post-Brexit citizens’ rights plan at summit

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d