MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Hong Kong | Government slams US decision to suspend treaties

Hong Kong | Government slams US decision to suspend treaties

By -
August 21, 2020
0
0
Share:

The Hong Kong government yesterday condemned the U.S. decision to suspend extradition and tax exemption treaties with the semi-autonomous Chinese city, saying it was being used as a pawn in geopolitics.
On Wednesday, the U.S. suspended its extradition treaty with Hong Kong, becoming the latest country to do so after Canada, Australia and Britain suspended such agreements. The U.S. also suspended an agreement with Hong Kong on reciprocal tax exemptions on income derived from the international operation of ships.
“The U.S.’ unilateral decision reflects its disrespect for bilateralism and multilateralism under the current administration and should be condemned by the international community,” the territory’s government said in a statement.
The government “strongly objects to and deplores the U.S.’ action, which is widely seen as a move to create troubles in China-U.S. relationship, using Hong Kong as a pawn,” it said.
The government said that bilateral agreements were not preferential treatment given to Hong Kong, but were negotiated in good faith to benefit both parties.
Hong Kong has faced mounting international pressure following Beijing’s implementation of a national security law which has been viewed as an attack on the “one country, two systems” framework under which the city has been governed since its return to China in 1997.
China’s foreign ministry said Hong Kong will also suspend its extradition agreement with the U.S. in response.
“I want to emphasize again that Hong Kong affairs are purely China’s internal affairs and no one should interfere,” said ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian, who urged the U.S. to “stop meddling in Hong Kong affairs.”
Since July 1997, Hong Kong has surrendered 69 fugitives to the U.S., with the U.S. extraditing 23 people to Hong Kong, according to official data.
Jeffrey Bader, a former U.S. diplomat, said the actions taken so far are unlikely to dissuade China.
“Hong Kong is an issue that’s going to be with us for quite some time, and in a frustrating way,” he said.
“It’s part of China and things that are internal to China, even if they have an international dimension, like Hong Kong and Xinjiang, the Chinese have a demonstrated disdain for outside opinion and are inflexible in reaction to it.”
Separately yesterday, lawmakers from Hong Kong’s largest pro-democracy party, the Democratic Party, said they planned to hold a poll and debate to determine whether they will continue serving in the legislature another year, following an election postponement attributed to the coronavirus outbreak.
Opinions within the pro-democracy camp differ on whether lawmakers should boycott the extension of their terms or stay to have a voice in the legislature. Lawmakers in favor of boycotting say staying sets a precedent to delay elections.
“The public opinion is still very divided, we want the solidarity of the people,” James To, a member of the Democratic Party, said at a news conference. “We would prepare at least one debate in order … to have a comprehensive range of arguments and points so that the whole society can decide.”
The elections were to be held in September but city officials postponed them for a year. Critics say they feared the governing pro-Beijing party would lose seats if they were held on time. ZEN SOO, HONG KONG, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

This Day in History | 1968 Russia ...

Next Article

Briefs | Cinematheque Passion to reopen to ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • BuzzChina

      Xi says China will ‘surely be reunified’ with Taiwan in New Year’s address

      January 3, 2024
      By -
    • China

      China-Australia year of tourism records impressive gains 

      November 15, 2017
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Chinese human rights activist gets suspended sentence

      August 3, 2016
      By -
    • China

      Beijing reverses ban on trade in tiger, rhino products

      October 31, 2018
      By -
    • China

      Education minister demands rejection of Western values

      February 2, 2015
      By -
    • China

      Scolari leads Guangzhou to 6th straight title

      October 24, 2016
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Opinion

      Rear Window | Contrasting tendencies

    • Macau

      IC pushes cultural tourism and IP development

    • Asia-Pacific

      Europe hosts southeast Asian leaders as own crises mount

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d