MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

ChinaHeadlines
Home›China›Hong Kong | Pro-democracy lawmakers resign en masse

Hong Kong | Pro-democracy lawmakers resign en masse

By -
November 12, 2020
1
0
Share:

Hong Kong’s pro-democracy legislators pose for a photo before a press conference at the LegCo yesterday

Hong Kong’s pro-democracy lawmakers said that they were resigning en masse following a move by the semi-autonomous Chinese territory’s government to disqualify four of their fellow pro-democracy legislators.
The 15 lawmakers announced the move in a news conference yesterday, hours after the Hong Kong government said it was disqualifying the four legislators — Alvin Yeung, Dennis Kwok, Kwok Ka-ki and Kenneth Leung.
The disqualifications came after China’s National People’s Congress Standing Committee, which held meetings over the past two days, passed a resolution stating that those who support Hong Kong’s independence or refuse to acknowledge China’s sovereignty over the city, or threaten national security or ask external forces to interfere in the city’s affairs, should be disqualified.
“Today we will resign from our positions, because our partners, our colleagues have been disqualified by the central government’s ruthless move,” Wu Chi-wai, convener of the pro-democracy camp, said at the news conference.
“Although we are facing a lot of difficulties in the coming future for the fight of democracy, but we will never, ever give up,” he said.
Wu said that the pro-democracy legislators would hand in their resignation letters on Thursday. During the news conference, pro-democracy lawmakers chanted “Hong Kong add oil, together we stand” while holding hands.
“This is an actual act by Beijing … to sound the death knell of Hong Kong’s democracy fight, because they would think that from now on anyone they found to be politically incorrect or unpatriotic or are simply not likable to look at, they could just oust you using any means,” said pro-democracy lawmaker Claudia Mo.
Beijing has in recent months moved to clamp down on opposition voices in Hong Kong with the imposition of a national security law, after months of anti-government protests last year rocked the city.
“In terms of legality and constitutionality, obviously from our point of view this is clearly in breach of the Basic Law and our rights to participate in public affairs, and a failure to observe due process,” said Kwok, one of the disqualified lawmakers, referring to Hong Kong’s mini-constitution.
Hong Kong’s leader, Carrie Lam, said in a news conference yesterday that lawmakers must act properly, and that the city needs a legislature comprised of patriots.
“We cannot allow members of the Legislative Council who have been judged in accordance with the law to be unable to fulfill the requirements and prerequisites for serving on the Legislative Council to continue to operate in the Legislative Council,” Lam said.
A mass resignation by the pro-democracy camp would leave Hong Kong’s legislature with only pro-Beijing lawmakers. The pro-Beijing camp already makes up a majority of the city’s legislature, but the resignations could allow lawmakers to pass bills favored by Beijing without opposition.
Still, Lam said that the legislature would not become a rubber-stamp body, and that diverse opinion is welcomed.
“I clearly will say that it is unfair to the pro-establishment members that once the 19 members left the Legislative Council, then they will become a rubber stamp of the Hong Kong SAR government,” she said. “That certainly would not happen.”
Earlier in the year, the four now-disqualified pro-democracy lawmakers were barred from running for legislative elections originally scheduled for September, prior to the government stating that it would postpone the elections by a year due to the coronavirus. They were disqualified over their calls for foreign governments to impose sanctions on Hong Kong and Beijing.
The four lawmakers later remained in their posts following the postponement of the elections.
The postponement was criticized by the pro-democracy camp as an attempt to block them from taking a majority of seats in the legislature, after they had held an unofficial pro-democracy primary participated in by over 600,000 voters to decide which candidates to field.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said that the move to disqualify the lawmakers was necessary to maintain rule of law and constitutional order in Hong Kong.
“We firmly support the (Hong Kong) government in performing its duties in accordance with the Standing Committee’s decision,” Wang said at a regular news conference.
Beijing’s imposition of the national security law on Hong Kong in June and the ensuing crackdown on opposition voices have brought condemnation from Washington and other Western democracies. Several countries have suspended their extradition treaties with Hong Kong, and Washington has barred Lam and other leading figures from visiting the U.S. and ordered a block on any U.S. assets in their possession.
Beijing has rejected all such criticism and lashed out at what it calls gross foreign interference in Chinese politics.
“I want to emphasize that Hong Kong is a special administrative region of China,” Wang said, reiterating Beijing’s position. “The issue of qualification of Hong Kong Legislative Council members is purely China’s internal affairs. No countries have the right to make irresponsible remarks or intervene.” ZEN SOO, HONG KONG, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Hebei | Chinese farmer who praised lawyers ...

Next Article

IFFAM 2020 | Film festival to go ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      TIS to expand its international dimension with IB primary diploma in 2023

      June 10, 2022
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • China

      Pollution 
| Beijing marathoners don face masks to battle smog

      October 20, 2014
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Covid rules for hospital patients questioned

      July 27, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Breaking NewsChinaHeadlines

      Hong Kong police arrest 15 on suspicion of stock manipulation

      September 10, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Diplomats seek Kim Jong Nam body

      March 1, 2017
      By -
    • BusinessHeadlines

      China casino crackdown infects Sydney as Star VIP turnover hit

      February 17, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Joyce DiDonato to perform in Macau

    • Macau

      IPIM reorganization to strengthen trade

    • China

      Taipei concludes long-awaited book fair

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d