MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›HSBC among banks that shuttered HK branches

HSBC among banks that shuttered HK branches

By -
September 30, 2014
1
0
Share:
Demonstrators use barricades to block the entrance of the Citic Tower during a protest in Hong Kong

Demonstrators use barricades to block the entrance of the Citic Tower during a protest in Hong Kong

Standard Chartered and HSBC were among banks that shuttered some branches in Hong Kong as pro-democracy protesters remained on the streets following weekend clashes with police.
About 44 branches, offices and automated teller machines were closed yesterday, according to the Hong Kong Monetary Authority. The front entrance of the Cheung Kong Center, home to Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Barclays Plc in the city, was barricaded, with demonstrators gathered peacefully on a blocked road about 200 meters away in the late afternoon.
Hong Kong stocks dropped after protest-rallies mushroomed Sunday, leading to violent clashes, and people dressed in black blocked some roads into the business district yesterday. The closures marked the biggest disruption to banks’ operations in the city since at least the 1970s, though a lull through most of the day allowed people to go to work in the financial hub.
“I have not seen anything like this before,” Ma Yue, a finance professor at City University of Hong Kong, said by phone. “While Hong Kong had experienced social disturbances in the ’60s, those are not comparable with today’s situation because Hong Kong was not an international financial centre.”
An office for Barclays in the Cheung Kong Center building was closed, while three Citigroup outlets in the city were also shut, according to a list released by the HKMA. Some Citic Securities International Co. and Ernst & Young staff were working from home, the firms said.
Local and foreign banks together have about 1,372 branches in Hong Kong. The financial-services industry employs more than 220,000 people, or approximately 6 percent of the city’s workforce. HSBC had 29,000 employees in Hong Kong as of the end of last year, while Standard Chartered has about 6,000 people.
An HSBC branch in Mong Kok district, which is one of the city’s most densely populated areas, was among those closed after protests unexpectedly spread beyond the main island. The bank also shut outlets in the shopping district of Causeway Bay, where demonstrators had congregated, and Admiralty, home to the government’s main offices and site of the most violent confrontations during the weekend.
Services elsewhere were operating normally, including at its main office in the Central district, the London-based bank said in an e-mailed statement. Europe’s biggest bank has about 162 sites in Hong Kong, according to its website.
“Investors are feeling uneasy as the Occupy protests are still going on,” Castor Pang, head of research at Core Pacific-Yamaichi in Hong Kong, said by telephone. “Developments in the next one to two days will be crucial because that will let us know whether the protesters will voluntarily disperse.” Alfred Liu and Cathy Chan, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Instagram blocked amid HK protests

Next Article

Mainlanders receive limited coverage of ‘illegal’ democracy ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Ivanka Shoes | ‘You disappeared?’ A wife seeks her husband missing in China

      June 9, 2017
      By -
    • China

      The Buzz | Facebook sets up subsidiary in China, where it’s blocked

      July 26, 2018
      By -
    • China

      House fire in southern Beijing suburb kills 19, injures 8

      November 20, 2017
      By -
    • China

      Wang lashes Washington over Quad, North Korea

      March 8, 2022
      By -
    • China

      Economy | Export, import growth weaken in July, dimming outlook

      August 9, 2017
      By -
    • China

      Hong Kong says no to nano flats as prices start to crater

      December 12, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      Gov’t advocates for AI cooperation to advance women’s rights

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Former DSSOPT head arrested under suspicion of corruption

    • HeadlinesMacau

      AL expresses ‘regret and condemnation’ over All About Macau incident

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d