MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Greater Bay
Home›Greater Bay›Hurdles mount for Hong Kong Exchange’s $36.6 billion London bid

Hurdles mount for Hong Kong Exchange’s $36.6 billion London bid

By -
September 13, 2019
0
0
Share:

The Hong Kong Exchanges & Clearing Ltd. plan to take over London Stock Exchange Group Plc is running into multiple obstacles less than 24 hours after the surprise bid was launched, with the U.K. bourse leaning toward rejecting the offer in its current form, according to people familiar with the matter.
HKEX shares fell as much as 3.8%, while LSE is trading at about 14% below the offer price, highlighting skepticism such a deal will get done. LSE declined to comment.
LSE must decide between HKEX’s offer on Wednesday and its own plan to acquire Refinitiv to become a global data powerhouse. If LSE decides to fend off HKEX’s bid for the marketplace, it can count on some powerful allies. While the takeover represents a vote of confidence in London as a post-Brexit financial hub, officials in the U.K. and U.S. are likely to look skeptically at the prospect of Chinese links to the world’s biggest venue for handling interest-rate swaps.
“Shareholders who previously welcomed the proposed acquisition of Refinitiv will be seeking assurances that the strategic rationale will not be undermined by a successful bid for LSE,” said Rhona Millar, an investment analyst at Aberdeen Standard Investments which holds LSE shares.
Shares in LSE initially rose as much as 16% after HKEX said it wanted to combine the exchanges in a cash-and-stock deal that valued the London firm at 29.6 billion pounds ($36.6 billion). However, the stock pared gains as analysts raised doubts about the deal gaining approval from shareholders and global regulators.
“The London Stock Exchange is a critically important part of the U.K. financial system, so as you would expect, the government and the regulators will be looking at the details closely,” said a spokesperson for the U.K. government on Wednesday. “We cannot comment further on commercial matters.”
The government has the power to intervene in mergers on public interest grounds.
LSE senior managers were blindsided by the offer, said another person familiar with the situation, who asked not to be named discussing matters that aren’t public on Wednesday. Internally, recent meetings have concentrated on the significant benefits of the Refinitiv deal, the person said.
With global political tensions rising – including protests in Hong Kong and U.S. President Donald Trump’s trade war with China – commercial arguments may not be the most compelling. U.S. regulators last year rejected a bid by a Chinese-linked consortium to take over the Chicago Stock Exchange, a deal that then-candidate Trump blasted when it was announced in 2016.
Both firms have been involved in exchange merger deals in recent years, with LSE failing in its attempt to combine with Deutsche Boerse AG and HKEX acquiring London Metal Exchange in 2012. Dinesh Nair & Viren Vaghela, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Filipinos dropping out of the workforce benefit ...

Next Article

Belting out protest song is latest act ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Greater BayHeadlines

      Hong Kong | Court sentences leaders of Occupy Central movement

      April 25, 2019
      By -
    • Greater Bay

      Guangdong | Trade with Central, Eastern Europe rose 15.2%

      July 26, 2019
      By -
    • Greater BayMacau

      GBA | Guangdong to promote infrastructure implementing HK, Macau rules

      February 15, 2022
      By -
    • ForumGreater Bay

      Market regulator ends Three Gorges takeover bid for EDP

      May 3, 2019
      By -
    • Greater Bay

      Hong Kong | Lawmakers raise complaints over police brutality

      June 20, 2019
      By -
    • Greater BayHeadlines

      Winners and losers in violent Hong Kong protests

      July 3, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Soviet-era spacecraft plunges to Earth after 53 years stuck in orbit

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Uber controversy | Gov’t employees told not to support last-ditch ePetition and demonstration

    • Greater Bay

      Tycoon challenges Hong Kong bid to ease extraditions to China

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d