MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Increase of 8 percent in fire cases reported

Increase of 8 percent in fire cases reported

By Renato Marques, MDT
January 16, 2019
1
0
Share:

The Fire Services Bureau (CB) was called less often to respond to several types of incidents over 2018. The 1.3 percent drop was reported yesterday to the media by Commissioner Leong Iok Sam during the CB annual activities report.

Although the number of cases decreased (by 609 cases) when compared to the previous year, Leong noted that fire-related cases rose by 8 percent during 2018. According to the CB head, the increase in these cases was attributed to “a significant number of reported cases of fire and smoke in electrical boxes,” particularly during typhoons and other weather- related situations.

Leong also explained the registered decline in the total number of cases addressed by the CB in 2018, contrasting the “extremely high number reported back in 2017, with the hit of typhoon Hato. […] Last year’s Mangkhut did not generate so many cases,” he said.

2018 closed with a total of 47,327 incidents lodged. The number of dispatched ambulance cases grew by 270.
The Commissioner noted that “although we had more cases [of ambulance dispatching], the growth is by just over 200 cases, which in fact represents a slowdown, since in previous years we were seeing an average growth of over 2,000 cases per year,” Leong noted, highlighting also that this slight increase did not result in an increase in the total number of ambulance services. That figure decreased by over 2,500 ambulances.

Responsibility for this decrease, according to Leong, lies with the successful campaigns run by the CB, encouraging people to refrain from using ambulance services except in a real emergency.

Leong foresees some areas in which the services would focus on this year, citing the “learning achieved with the experience from the last few years concerning disaster response.” He noted that the CB has acquired and updated equipment and vehicles in order to effectively face any upcoming situation, as well as provided training for its frontline staff in order to “elevate their capacity during rescue operations.”

Leong said that this year the CB plans to acquire “two to three drones that would be used in fire detection and fast information relay on site in an incident.” He further explained that “[the drones] would be used mostly for the detection of fire outbreaks and for image collection on site so we can have fast relay of information on the situation and can deploy the best equipment to the location.”

Questioned by the media, the Commissioner said that the Services personnel currently include 1,362 operatives. He expects that during 2019, those operatives will be joined by another 100 currently in training.

According to Leong, the figure is sufficient but does not fill the Service’s established 1,600 operative quota completely.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

CRIME | Mainland man killed in illegal ...

Next Article

Thursday, January 17, 2019 – edition no. ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      SAUTEDE’S CASE | Macau and HK scholars want to meet Vatican’s representative

      July 30, 2014
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Heatstroke warnings issued as city records temperatures exceeding 37 degrees

      August 6, 2024
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Covid-19 |Authorities studying vaccine extra doses, roll-out by target groups

      October 13, 2021
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      The Buzz | Four Macau gaming tycoons in Hong Kong Forbes’ list

      January 19, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      Lusofonia Festival aiming more with less

      October 7, 2015
      By -
    • Macau

      Education | UM student grabs top title in English speaking contest

      April 1, 2015
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Business

      Real Estate Matters | Watch out for these red flags to avoid nightmare tenants

    • Daily Edition

      Tuesday, August 3, 2021 – edition no. 3827

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Touted as Macau’s threat, Thailand approves draft bill to legalize casinos

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d