MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Inoculation efforts for 100,000 Sinopharm jabs roll out

Inoculation efforts for 100,000 Sinopharm jabs roll out

By Anthony Lam, MDT
February 8, 2021
0
0
Share:

A vaccination ceremony is expected to take place tomorrow as the first 100,000 doses of the inactivated SARS-CoV-2 vaccine arrived in Macau last Saturday, director of the Health Bureau (SSM) Lei Chin Ion said on the sidelines of the arrival ceremony for the vaccines.
The government is prioritizing medical staff, especially those working in frontline positions, for the jab, aiming to vaccinate them all by Chinese New Year.
After this, frontline border checkpoint staff, police, fire fighters, paramedics, frozen food workers, casino staff, school staff, and people traveling overseas for urgent reasons will follow.
It is internationally agreed that all three of the most widely-used SARS-CoV-2 vaccines require two doses to build sufficient immunity against Covid-19. This means 50,000 recipients at most will receive the 100,000 vaccines.
To prepare for the vaccinations, the SSM launched a registration website last week to allow medical staff working at the SSM, Kiang Wu Hospital, University Hospital, and the Macau Federation of Trade Unions clinics and rehabilitation centers to make their bookings.
Although the registration process is still underway, Lei revealed that half of the SSM’s medical staff have expressed an interest in getting vaccinated. He expects most vaccinations to occur in the two days before Chinese New Year.
From the fourth day of Chinese New Year, all SSM health centers, as well as the Accident and Emergency Room at Conde São Januário Hospital and University Hospital, will provide vaccinations.
Considering the arrangement, journalists were interested to know whether Lei would be included in the first phase of vaccinations. As a doctor himself, Lei confirmed that he would be part of the first cohort of recipients.
He acknowledged that while an official getting the vaccine is a way of building public confidence in the vaccine, he stressed that frontline medical staff are the most vulnerable group and should always be prioritized.
Lei declined to disclose who would receive the first jab in Macau before he was asked if it was confidential. In response, he immediately said, “Okay, I’ll take the first jab.”
The city will follow best practice and require all recipients to remain onsite for half an hour before leaving in case any complications arise.
The director stressed that, after the vaccine rollout, the SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid test and Health Code requirements will maintain in place, because lifting them is not a common practice yet.
By the time the vaccination program commences, the government’s insurance policies will also be ready. The government has pledged to insure all local and non-resident workers in case of any medical complications after receiving the vaccine. Details will be announced at the weekly press briefing today.
Macau has ordered three types of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines. Besides the vaccine that arrived last week, there is also the Pfizer-BioNTech and the AstraZeneca, which are expected to arrive next month and in June respectively.
The SSM has held two separate sessions to brief medical staff about how to administer the vaccine. About 150 staff members attended.
Medical staff at the sessions were introduced to technical guidelines and vaccination procedures, and the reporting mechanism for adverse effects.
Attendees also raised questions regarding points of caution in the vaccination guidelines and evaluation of efficacy.
Similar sessions will be held for staff serving at private medical facilities at later dates.

 

 

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

2017 AL election | TSI confirms sentence ...

Next Article

48th Covid-19 case recorded in city

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Police shut down MOP2,000 jaywalking fine rumor

      June 13, 2019
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs: IC claims no knowledge of Rua de Felicidade shop ownership

      July 24, 2014
      By -
    • Macau

      Parade bonanza | Annual parades entail budget similar to larger cultural events

      May 5, 2015
      By Catarina Pinto
    • Breaking NewsHeadlinesMacau

      Signal No. 8 remains in effect, 9 and 10 at early hours of tomorrow

      September 23, 2025
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      CE to attend AL session Aug. 9

      August 3, 2022
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Lusofonia Festival to be integrated into ‘Encounter in Macau’

      October 29, 2021
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      It’s a tie: Atwood and Evaristo share fiction’s Booker Prize

    • Macau

      Local woman loses MOP50,000 in impersonation scam

    • World

      This day in history | 1954 US tests hydrogen bomb in Bikini

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d