MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Liu Xiaobo’s ill health worsens

Liu Xiaobo’s ill health worsens

By -
July 7, 2017
0
0
Share:

In this image taken from June 3, 2008, video, Liu Xiaobo speaks during an interview before his detention in Beijing

China’s ailing Nobel Peace Prize laureate Liu Xiaobo’s health is further deteriorating as abdominal fluid accumulates, said a friend and the Chinese hospital that is treating him, adding to concerns about the long-term prognosis of the country’s best-known political prisoner.

The First Hospital of China Medical University said in a statement that the doctor heading a medical team in charge of Liu’s treatment has informed his family of this development. The statement appeared yesterday on the website of the hospital in the northeastern city of Shenyang but is undated.

A family friend confirmed on yesterday that Liu’s family had been asked to be on standby in the hospital over the next 24 hours — which they took as a sign that Liu is critically ill.

“We are worried about whether we should start planning for what to do after he leaves,” said family friend Wu Yangwei, who is better known by his penname Ye Du.

Liu was diagnosed in May while serving a 11-year sentence for inciting subversion by advocating sweeping political reforms that would end China’s one-party rule. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2010, a year after his conviction.

Since the diagnosis was made public in late June, his supporters, Western governments and human rights groups have been urging Beijing to release Liu and give him the freedom to choose where he wants to be treated. Beijing has maintained that this is an internal affair other countries should stay out of and that Liu is under the care of experts in the Chinese medical facility.

Maya Wang, a researcher for Human Rights Watch, yesterday called the treatment of the Nobel peace laureate “shameful.”

“The Chinese government’s treatment of Liu Xiaobo, which includes holding him and his family even in his dying days, reveal the cruelty and ruthlessness of the Chinese government,” Wang said. “How can such a government be considered as a reliable and responsible partner for global leadership?”

The latest statement also included the names of some of the experts, including Dr. Mao Yilei, a reputed expert on liver cancer at the prestigious Peking Union Medical College Hospital, who conducted another round of group consultation.

In a likely response to criticism that China might have failed to adequately care for Liu, the statement said the experts were approving of prior treatments of Liu. They also adjusted the treatment, the hospital said.

On behalf of the medical team, Mao informed Liu’s family of the latest development, and Liu’s family said they understood, the statement said. The statement was impossible to verify with Liu’s wife or other family members, who have not been contactable and are said to face restrictions on their movements and communications with the outside world. Calls to the hospital were unanswered yesterday. Didi Tang, Beijing, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Panda diplomacy | Xi presents two giant ...

Next Article

China trade with North Korea up but ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      American lobster: the mainland’s new festive delicacy 

      February 18, 2015
      By -
    • China

      AP exclusive | China accuses outspoken tycoon in US of rape

      September 1, 2017
      By -
    • China

      China doesn’t object US, UK joining Pacific allies in Fijian military exercise

      September 22, 2022
      By -
    • China

      Australia and China open their first high-level dialogue in three years

      September 8, 2023
      By -
    • China

      China urges Afghan changes on women’s roles

      May 11, 2023
      By -
    • China

      US raises no objection over aircraft carrier drill

      December 29, 2016
      By -

    • Sports

      Madrid enduring its worst struggles in more than 2 decades

    • Asia-Pacific

      Death toll from mosque suicide bombing rises to 88

    • Corporate BitsDaily Edition

      Wednesday, June 2, 2021 – edition no. 3784

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d