MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Macau football team likely to miss HK friendly match

Macau football team likely to miss HK friendly match

By -
September 27, 2019
1
0
Share:

The Macau Football Association (MFA) has recommended the Hong Kong Football Association (HKFA) postpone the upcoming annual Hong Kong-Macau Regional Friendly, local online media outlet Macau Concealers reported.

The report came after Hong Kong’s Ming Pao Daily newspaper published the news. There has been speculation that the decision was made due to the current political situation in Hong Kong.

The MFA rejected the speculation by offering several other justifications, which were subsequently found to be false or dubious.

According to the Hong Kong newspaper’s report, the HKFA confirmed that it had received the suggestion from the Macau side. However, the HKFA is still determining whether postponing the game is possible, as further negotiation with its Macau counterpart is necessary. In addition, the Hong Kong pitch’s schedule is quite full, making any postponement inconvenient.

On September 25, the Macau FA replied to an inquiry by Radio Macau, saying that there was a schedule clash on October 12, the original date for the match.

Macau Concealers then made another inquiry. The MFA told the media that due to the ongoing local matches, it was worried that the regional friendly match could not be played. Therefore, the MFA considered postponing.

As for what matches had been scheduled on that date, the MFA told the online media outlet to check the MFA website. The outlet found no scheduled match on the date, however.

Pressed for an explanation, the MFA informed Macau Concealers that even if there was no match on that date, the MFA might not send a team to Hong Kong. The players, the MFA explained, needed time to prepare for the match.

However, when asked how much time the players needed to prepare, the MFA refused to give an answer. It also reiterated that the decision had been made by other parties. The MFA stressed that it would have been delighted to send a team for the match.

On June 11, the Macau football team was absent from a World Cup Qualifier match in Sri Lanka. The MFA refused to send a team to the South Asian country, citing “security concerns” following a series of terror attacks in the two months prior.

At the time, the regional football governing body, the AFC, had emphasized the viability of the security plans submitted by Sri Lankan authorities. The Macau FA’s Sri Lankan counterpart also promised to guarantee the team’s safety. Macau was later assigned a 3-0 defeat for missing the match.

Earlier this month, the Iran national team also requested that their match with Hong Kong be moved to neutral ground, citing “safety concerns.”

The AFC decided on a no-change and the Iranian team appeared as arranged, winning the game 2-0. AL

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Chinese tour groups to HK plunge 86% ...

Next Article

Vegas Sun publisher says Adelson is trying ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Principal officials are targets in Coloane plot investigation

      February 9, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      Security secretary emphasizes individual efforts in stopping scams

      March 17, 2023
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Macau

      The litigation: A joint-venture gone south

      February 27, 2024
      By Paulo Coutinho, MDT
    • Macau

      Credit cards in circulation grow

      August 8, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      MSAR to grant unprecedented prestigious title to Filipino worker

      December 22, 2017
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesWorld

      Northern battlegrounds could hold key to Trump-Biden outcome

      November 4, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Sports

      Zhou Guanyu joins Ferrari as a reserve driver for 2025 F1 season

    • Daily Edition

      Monday, August 4, 2025 – edition no. 4772

    • World

      The Buzz | Mother headed to jail in custody dispute 

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d