MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Man almost killed by alleged illegal net fishing at Hac-Sa

Man almost killed by alleged illegal net fishing at Hac-Sa

By Anthony Lam, MDT
November 10, 2021
0
0
Share:

A man was reportedly trapped by fishing net near Hac-Sa Beach and nearly drowned while playing wing foil, a reader told the Times.
Professional diver and water activity enthusiast Anderson Lei told the Times that his friend was playing wing foil off the coast from Hac-Sa Beach on the night of October 7. His friend became trapped by an unidentified object and was towed underwater.
The victim attempted to disentangle himself, but became increasingly ensnared the harder he resisted. He fortunately managed to reach the beach before he could escape, later discovering that he had been trapped by a fishing net, which he removed from his leg.
Lei said that the net was about 100 meters long.
Coincidentally that same night, another friend of Lei’s was dining at the Miramar Restaurant. The friend confirmed to Lei that he saw at least four men holding remote controls and eyeing the direction of the sea.
He added that swimmers and other beach users had been previously observed to be trapped or disturbed by fishing nets. “Even I have experienced that personally,” he revealed.
He stressed that the situation poses risks to users of the beach.
On the night of the incident, he notified the Macao Customs, who reacted within 15 minutes by deploying a ship to the nearby waters. However, except for the remote-controlled ship, the Customs officers saw nothing.
They then deployed land officers and apprehended two suspects, who claimed that they were only playing with remote-controlled ships. However, with the net wrapped around the victim’s leg, the Customs decided to press charges against the two suspects.
Lei was told by the Customs authority that the case has been forwarded to the Marine and Water Bureau (DSAMA) for further investigation, as fishing in that area is against the law.
A statement issued by the DSAMA confirmed that the incident did take place. The Customs authority and the DSAMA jointly held an operation yesterday to clear about 150 meters of fishing net from the area.
The DSAMA condemned the placement of fishing net in the swimming area as it jeopardizes the safety of beach users. The act may incur civil and criminal responsibilities, the DSAMA added.
The Times enquired about the progress of investigation in an email yesterday, but no response was received from either governmental authority by press time.
Lei expressed his appreciation that the government reacted quickly in the incident.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Consulate prompts Filipino community to avoid ...

Next Article

‘Talents Regime’ to replace current ones running ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Monetary authority to lead automated coin collection

      September 24, 2021
      By -
    • Macau

      CE attends Boao Forum for Asia in Hainan

      April 19, 2021
      By Honey Tsang, MDT
    • Macau

      UM receives former Nobel Committee chairman

      February 4, 2016
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Gov’t seen to tighten issuing of blue cards

      July 10, 2020
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • Macau

      Lawmaker report | Sulu Sou still calling for more gov’t transparency

      October 15, 2020
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • BusinessHeadlines

      US, China raise tariffs in new round of trade dispute

      August 24, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      President Milei announces economy deregulation as thousands protest against austerity

    • Sports

      Golf | Koepka says knee is improving, eager to defend WGC title

    • China

      Strongest storm in decades in south China kills 18

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d