MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Mechanism exists to send patients in life-threatening condition to Hong Kong

Mechanism exists to send patients in life-threatening condition to Hong Kong

By Anthony Lam, MDT
April 7, 2020
1
0
Share:

Despite all public transportation links between Macau and Hong Kong having been closed, a mechanism by which Macau patients with emergency needs are sent to Hong Kong for medical assistance is still in effect, a representative of the Health Bureau (SSM) has clarified.
The SSM director, Lei Chin Ion, has previously mentioned that the already-established mechanism was still in effect during this special period. Lo Iek Long, medical director of the Conde São Januário Hospital, made that same observation at yesterday’s daily press conference.
Journalists were concerned whether patients who have been under medical care in Hong Kong under the mechanism would be able to get follow-up medical treatment for their conditions by doctors in Hong Kong.
The mechanism has been under review, according to Lo, with regard to the degree of urgency necessary for doctors in Macau to consider sending patients to Hong Kong. However, the review was not prompted by this current pandemic situation. Lo said that as use of the mechanism could pose an additional threat to other members of society, any decision to use it will be made with extreme caution.
Lo disclosed that the bureau has made contingencies for these patients, but the exact course of action will always depend on the specifics of the case.
“We rely on the actual condition of the patient to determine a medical plan,” Lo explained. “We need to base our plans on the availability of medications, for example.”
Medical plans, according to the medical director, are the result of comprehensive review. With reference to life-threatening illnesses, the SSM will conduct high-level communications with its counterparts in Hong Kong to facilitate the necessary action, should cases arise during this unusual period.
The medical director indicated that many people would like to seek medical assistance in the neighboring Special Administrative Region or other places. He said that Macau residents enjoy the freedom to choose the location where they receive medical services at their own discretion.
The only thing he can do is to encourage people to “get the medical problems that can be resolved in Macau handled locally.”
The medical doctor said that currently the most crucial work is to fight Covid-19. “I believe it’s a consensus that human movements should be kept to a minimum,” Lo said.
The Macao Government Tourism Office announced yesterday that following the Metropole Hotel’s recent discharge as a designated hotel for quarantine, the Regency Art Hotel has also now been discharged.
After the last guest left the hotel, the SSM deployed a team to instruct hotel staff on sanitization.
With the discharge of the Regency Art Hotel, 10 hotels are still in use as government quarantine venues. For the time being, 1,636 people – 1,378 locals and 258 non-locals – are under quarantine in these hotels.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Almost two-thirds of all recently shipped EMS ...

Next Article

Fundraising campaign raises nearly 2 million patacas ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      HKSAR 20 years | Chui pledges to accelerate Macau integration

      July 3, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | 15-year-old people smuggling mastermind arrested

      June 15, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      IAM destroys surplus firecrackers and rockets

      February 7, 2022
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      O Lam: low birthrate, population aging, and mental health top public concerns

      January 28, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Zone D, Zone A waterway to remain

      May 6, 2021
      By -
    • Macau

      Sin Fong Garden residents convicted of aggravated disobedience

      September 30, 2015
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Greater Bay

      HK’s rich open more offshore accounts as backup plan, bankers say

    • HeadlinesInterviewMacau

      St Lawrence’s Church launches souvenir store

    • Macau

      Ask The Vet | How to train your dog at home 

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d