MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Nepalese workers lament ‘miserable conditions’ after dismissals

Nepalese workers lament ‘miserable conditions’ after dismissals

By Renato Marques, MDT
June 9, 2020
2
0
Share:

Letter sent by the concerned Nepalese citizen

A representative for Nepalese workers who are currently stranded in Macau contacted the Times seeking help for his fellow compatriots, stating that they had been unable to receive help from their consulate or from their former employers in Macau.
According to the representative, other Nepalese workers have been providing them with food and accommodation. However, after several months of living in such conditions, they are now in a critical situation.
The Consulate General of Nepal in Hong Kong have said in response to a Times inquiry that the consulate is aware of the group of about 60 Nepalese nationals who are currently stranded in Macau after having lost their jobs and without means to return to Nepal due to border restrictions.
The consulate also said it was aware that these Nepalese workers wished to return home, but refuted the idea that they were in a critical situation, saying, “the severe condition is not as you mentioned.”
The same diplomatic mission added that their efforts include contacting a local association that is coordinating the provision of assistance and collecting information.
“The consulate has requested and coordinated with non-resident Nepali Association Macao which provides infrequent assistance to collect data, to provide assistance [of any kind] and cooperate with [workers] since the pandemic began and the Government of Macau restricted even us to enter Macau,” the Consul, Kiran Kumar Gurung said.
“The Consulate has begun to collect all the information for the repatriation since the Government of Nepal decided to repatriate some of the Nepalis who are in utmost need,” he added.
The consulate also called on all Nepalese nationals seeking repatriation to complete the designated form created by the consulate and accessible via the link: http://cgnhongkong.hk.mikecrm.com/Q09FxA6.
In a letter sent to the Times by fax, the workers’ representative noted that from the group of about 60 people, some had been laid off, while “a few have resigned from their jobs” in agreement with the companies.
“Since we have lost our jobs, there has been no assistance or inquiry into our situation [regarding food and accommodation],” he told the Times. He further added, “What I personally feel is the respective companies have to work collectively to ensure the safety and respectful return of the workers in the same way that they brought us here with so much enthusiasm and care.”
According to the representative, under current circumstances, this is not occurring, with companies finding reasons amid the Covid-19 outbreak to dismiss workers while failing to ensure the health and safety for those left stranded.
“Unfortunately, the companies have failed to ensure healthy and safe conditions of stay, leaving the stranded Nepali in miserable conditions on their own.”
He also told the Times that all the stranded people were working in the security sector, with most of them at two local gaming operators. At the moment, the vast majority of them are sharing a single apartment.
“The situation is really terrible right now,” he said. He called on former employers to step up and find a solution similar to what was reported in mid-May, when Melco Resorts & Entertainment chartered a special flight from Macau to Manila to transport some of its workers back to their homeland.
Late last week, TDM Radio reported that another gaming operator, Sands China Ltd., was also arranging chartered flights for some 130 Filipino workers that had been stranded in the city due to the pandemic, although the report has not yet been confirmed by the company.
“We feel that we are being somewhat discriminated [against]. If companies can organize flights for the Filipino workers to go back, why can’t they do the same for us, too?” the representative of the Nepalese workers’ group told the Times in a phone conversation. “We just want to go home,” he said, adding that the purpose of his letter was to request a safe stay and a smooth return home for Nepalese workers from all departments and agencies concerned.
The Times has also reached out for comments from the companies said to be former employers to seek further information. It was not possible to obtain a reply by press time from the companies contacted.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

SSM employee under prosecution for rape

Next Article

Workers’ federation records 300 dismissals during pandemic

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      MICE receipts tumble 54%

      October 8, 2021
      By -
    • Macau

      Courts ‘Blue card’ revoked over drink-driving

      December 3, 2014
      By -
    • Macau

      Crime | Man organizes theft of ex-girlfriend’s house

      August 7, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      Covid-19 vaccine trials begin in Jiangsu province

      August 7, 2020
      By -
    • Macau

      The Sole Candidate on the Campaign Trail | Chui says tougher penalties for drug crimes depend on public opinion

      August 28, 2014
      By -
    • Macau

      Blackpink’s Jennie steps out on her own with debut solo album

      March 21, 2025
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Daily Edition

      Tuesday, September 26, 2023 – edition no. 4338

    • China DailyOpinion

      France sets example against ‘decoupling’

    • China

      Hong Kong | Hundreds gather to protest editor’s dismissal

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d