MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›New Macau complains to CCAC on Coloane tower

New Macau complains to CCAC on Coloane tower

By Renato Marques, MDT
March 9, 2016
0
0
Share:

1-ComplaintDeliverytoCCAC

The New Macau Association found “suspicious traces” that government departments may have contributed to expedite the bureaucratic procedures for  the construction company regarding the proposed 100-meter skyscraper planned for Coloane’s hill (Estrada do Campo). The association delivered a complaint to the Commission Against Corruption (CCAC) yesterday, showing several documents that raise suspicions of favoritism from government departments.
The complaint is based on several decisions taken by the administration over a four year period (2009-2013) that converged to help this specific development project, the leader of New Macau Association, Scott Chiang, told journalists when delivering the documents to Macau’s corruption watchdog.
Chiang explained, “back in 2007 there was a plan clearly stating that the construction height for that entire area could not exceed 12 meters but in 2009 an updated version of the same plan excluded precisely the area in question without further explanation or reason,” adding that “a few years later in 2012 the developer had already applied for the development and with very suspicious efficiency the government issued a temporary project license, which preceded the environmental impact assessment.”
According to Chiang, back in 2012 when the government issued the first temporary license for the project, it was only valid for 12 months. “Although we are now in 2016 it seems that condition is still valid and we have to question why. (…) It seems like the government rushed the process so it could give an assurance to the development before the enforcement of the new Urban Development Plan of 2014.”
Questioned by reporters about what the worst impact of the building could be (should it be built), Scott Chiang said that there are serious worries at two different levels: “First, this project will dig up half of the hill which will have a terrible impact on the environment in Coloane, the last piece of natural environment we can find in Macau.” More importantly, according to him, is what he deems as the ‘B2 effect’: “Once you allow a project of such height in this location, all the surrounding landowners will say ‘why can’t I do the same thing?’ so all of Coloane Island would be effectively gone.”
This development has been “in the line of fire” over the last week with several people and organizations expressing their discontent.
The government issued assurances that the project has not yet been granted a construction permit by the Land, Public Works and Transport Bureau (DSSOPT). A statement from the Government Information Bureau reiterated that starting construction on any project without a building permit is against the law.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

HK ‘performed poorly in accomplishing tasks’

Next Article

Real estate | Guangzhou lacks sales strategies ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Fire safety law | Gov’t bids to reconcile potentially overlapping contracts

      January 26, 2021
      By Julie Zhu, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Macau braces for surge in mainland visitors over May Day holiday

      April 28, 2026
      By Yuki Lei, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Ice-skating rink, urban farm among Galaxy’s plans for Lai Chi Vun revitalization

      September 29, 2023
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • Macau

      Cargo from HK can now take the delta bridge

      August 9, 2023
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Cyclone Mulan sweeps near city, edges T8 minimum

      August 11, 2022
      By Anthony Lam, MDT
    • Breaking NewsChinaMacau

      Mallet: Britain expresses concern over Hong Kong speech rights

      October 6, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Urban construction regime set for final vote

    • Business

      Real Estate | Aussie millennial rome ownership ranks low

    • ChinaHeadlines

      South China Sea | Vietnam follows Beijing with upgrades of its own

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d