MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Nine missing after migrant smuggling boat capsizes

Nine missing after migrant smuggling boat capsizes

By -
September 11, 2014
1
0
Share:

1 renato marques border postAuthorities are still searching for nine suspected mainland illegal immigrants and a smuggler who went missing after a speedboat capsized in waters off Hengqin.
The vessel, registered in Hong Kong, sank as it carried illegal immigrants  who had either been in Macau or Hong Kong.
Wang Shiyun, deputy head of the Zhuhai Maritime Affairs Bureau, said yesterday that a man who was rescued on Tuesday morning told rescuers that he was with nine others when the seven-meter long
boat capsized at around 4 a.m. as they attempted to enter Zhuhai from Macau illegally.
The man was rescued by a fisherman, having been adrift in the water on an empty oil barrel for four hours.
Wang said that rescue vessels found the boat and pulled it ashore on Tuesday. However, no traces of survivors have been found.
He said that the bureau yesterday had dispatched helicopters and seven patrol vessels to expand the search areas to find those still missing.
Information suggests that the nine missing passengers consisted of eight men and one woman. One of them was a crewmember, while those remaining were all from the mainland.
It is reported that the boat was only designed to carry four people.
Authorities suspect that the accident was caused by the vessel’s propeller becoming entangled with a fishing net.
They added that those missing were likely to have survived the accident, as it took place near the coast.
Six of the passengers were also reported to have life vests.
Macau Customs Service (SA) learnt the news yesterday morning through communication with the mainland authorities. SA claimed that it had already obtained information on the location where the people boarded the speedboat.
It promised to establish communications with the mainland authorities and to follow up the incident.
The head of SA’s department of operational management, Chao Chak Sam, revealed that the bureau has caught 258 illegal immigrants in the first eight months of this year, similar to previous years.
Mr Chao said that illegal immigrants would constantly change the locations of embarkation and disembarkation in order to avoid the law enforcement agencies. They would also adopt different camouflaging strategies.
As a result, it is very challenging for the SA officials to operate during night-time.
“It is impossible for [the SA] to dispatch personnel at every single location. [In fact], we have successfully caught many. As for whether there are loopholes, I can’t say. But for law enforcers, [we] are always playing a game of cat and mouse,” he said.
Chao Chak Sam added that SA has already communicated with mainland departments in order to strengthen their law enforcement and deployment, as well as learning from the experience.
Illegal immigration and people smuggling between Macau and the mainland is not uncommon throughout the years.
During an operation at the beginning of this year, SA officials fired four warning shots when chasing illegal immigrants at the exit of Long Chao Kok trail in Coloane. Three illegal immigrants who had travelled to the location from Hengqin in a speedboat were arrested in that operation.
Another arrest was made in May after a man was caught trying to transport a female illegal immigrant from mainland to Macau using a motorboat.
The pair was spotted and intercepted by an SA patrol vessel as they attempted to disembark near Avenida da Ponte da Amizade. MDT/Agencies

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

APEC Ministerial Meeting | Macau seen as ...

Next Article

TECHNOLOGY | Apple watch threatens Swiss ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Rice wholesalers assure government of ample supply

      April 6, 2020
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Cosmetic shops convicted of illegal importing

      June 25, 2018
      By -
    • Breaking NewsHeadlinesMacau

      Tourism | In calculation error, rise in visitors overstated 100-fold

      April 8, 2019
      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
    • Macau

      Authorities warn of fake electricity payment SMS scam targeting residents

      May 11, 2026
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Drug bureau implements limits of purchase on certain medications

      December 30, 2022
      By -
    • Macau

      Locals encouraged to pursue studies in Portugal

      March 13, 2015
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Breaking NewsMacau

      Macau GT: Farfus wins qualification race for BMW

    • Macau

      Daily wage of construction workers down in Q1

    • Business

      Starbucks reports record Q2 sales, enhances worker benefits

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d