MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Business
Home›Business›Nintendo taps 65-year-old human resources head as president

Nintendo taps 65-year-old human resources head as president

By -
September 15, 2015
1
0
Share:
Pavel Alpeyev and Takashi Amano

Pavel Alpeyev and Takashi Amano

Nintendo Co. named a 65-year-­old human resources executive as president to lead the company’s long-
awaited push into smartphone gaming and development of its new console.
Tatsumi Kimishima will succeed the late Satoru Iwata, the company said yesterday. Kimishima has worked for the Pokemon Co. and was chief executive officer of Nintendo of America Inc., where he oversaw the U.S. introduction of the Wii console and the 3DS handheld device.
Kimishima faces challenges revitalizing Nintendo, where its business model has been undermined by competitors’ free-to-play games on mobile devices and weak sales of its Wii U machine. Nintendo is set to release its first game service for smartphones this year and is preparing a new console code-named NX.
“It’s a very orthodox choice, which sends a message that the company is choosing to stay the course,” said Mitsushige Akino, executive officer at Ichiyoshi Asset Management Co. “Investors expecting growth would have preferred to see some bigger changes. Someone with a direct experience in designing games would have been better.”
Nintendo’s German-traded shares fell 0.7 percent, matching the decline in Tokyo before the announcement. The stock has gained 82 percent this year on expectations the company’s move into smartphones with DeNA Co. will spark sales.
“The basic direction and strategy won’t change,” Kimishima said in comments released by the company. “I will continue along the path set by President Iwata.”
Iwata was the face of Nintendo for 13 years, fronting everything from product announcements to analyst meetings. Iwata, the first president from outside the Yamauchi family since the company was founded in the late 19th century, tripled revenue through new devices and interactive figurines called Amiibo.
The Wii U hasn’t replicated the success of its predecessor against Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox, Sony Corp.’s PlayStation and Apple Inc.’s iPhone and iPad. The competing devices now sell in China after a ban was lifted, putting the Wii U further behind.
The company last week announced a new Pokemon title that uses a Bluetooth-ready button to interact with characters displayed in the real world. Nintendo has 32 percent of Pokemon’s voting rights.
Nintendo also is working with Universal Parks & Resorts to offer attractions based on its intellectual property.
Nintendo’s revenue has fallen six straight years, dropping to 550 billion yen (USD4.6 billion) in the 12 months ended March 2015. That is less than when Iwata took the role. The company has sold about 10 million units of the Wii U since its introduction in 2012.
Since his death in July from bile duct cancer, the Kyoto-based company has been led by Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of the Mario and Zelda series, and Genyo Takeda, the architect of the Wii console.
“We thought it’s better that Takeda and Miyamoto manage hardware and software, and I control administration,” Kimishima said. The new system is meant “to bring up the next-generation executives of Nintendo,” he said.
Miyamoto and Takeda will take the roles of “Creative Fellow” and “Technology Fellow,” respectively.
“It’s a collective approach to leadership,” said Hideki Yasuda, an analyst at Ace Research Institute in Tokyo. “Kimishima’s executive experience in the U.S. means he has an understanding of that very large market.” Pavel Alpeyev and Takashi Amano, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Apple says iPhone on pace to beat ...

Next Article

Statistics | Hotel revenues increase in 2014

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Business

      Corporate Bits | Venetian to participate in Aime 2016

      January 26, 2016
      By -
    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      Galaxy to pay employee bonus

      December 30, 2021
      By -
    • Business

      Starbucks to close over 8,000 stores in the US for anti-bias training

      May 30, 2018
      By -
    • BusinessCorporate BitsMGM

      Poly MGM Museum launches new phase of ‘Silk Roads Beyond Borders’ exhibition

      April 9, 2026
      By -
    • Business

      World’s 400 richest add USD92b in 2014 as Alibaba jumps

      December 31, 2014
      By -
    • BusinessMacau

      Gov’t showcases investment opportunities at CIFIT 2024

      September 20, 2024
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Lawmakers concerned about SMEs’ survival in a scenario of spending decline

    • Sports

      Motorcycle Grand Prix | Rutter rules first qualifying

    • Daily Edition

      Friday, January 16, 2026 – edition no. 4875

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d