MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Asia-Pacific
Home›Asia-Pacific›Nissan’s chief investigator into CEO’s pay is resigning

Nissan’s chief investigator into CEO’s pay is resigning

By -
September 9, 2019
1
0
Share:

The senior manager at Nissan Motor Co. who led the probe into excess compensation for Chief Executive Officer Hiroto Saikawa and other executives is resigning, people with knowledge of the matter said, the latest sign of chaos engulfing the Japanese automaker’s top ranks.
Christina Murray, Nissan’s vice president in charge of audit and compliance, will leave the carmaker as soon as Sept. 10, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information isn’t public. She began the investigation into overpayments in June, when former executive Greg Kelly said in a magazine interview that Saikawa had improperly received 47 million yen (USD439,000) in 2013.
The latest sign of discord in the upper echelons is another headache for the automaker following the arrest of Carlos Ghosn, charged with financial crimes along with Kelly in November. Since then, Nissan’s corporate governance has come under intense scrutiny, forcing the automaker to bring in more independent directors and establish oversight committees.
Murray, who has been at Nissan since joining the company’s U.S. operations in 2006, didn’t immediately return requests seeking comment. Koji Okuda, a spokesman for Yokohama-based Nissan, declined to comment.
Saikawa told reporters in Japan on Thursday that he and several other Nissan executives received excess compensation. They include Hari Nada, a central figure in Ghosn’s downfall, as well as Executive Vice President Asako Hoshino, people with knowledge of the matter have said.
Any overpayment was arranged by an office headed by Kelly at the time, Saikawa has said, according to two of the people. Saikawa, who became CEO in 2017, said he didn’t know specific details about the payments back in 2013 and would return any overpaid compensation. The company is not asking Saikawa to resign as the internal probe found he wasn’t intentional and there is no illegality, the people said.
Revelations that executives received excess pay via stock appreciation rights followed an internal investigation presented to a Nissan oversight committee on Sept. 4, the people said. The findings will be reported to the board of directors when they meet on Sept. 9., the company said.
Nissan is considering abolishing the payment system, which was first introduced in 2003 as an incentive for managers, Asahi reported Saturday, without saying where it got the information.
Ghosn, who deepened Nissan’s alliance with Renault SA and drove the company’s strategy for decades, was arrested for financial crimes in November and is awaiting trial in Tokyo. Nada used to be the head of Nissan’s CEO office, and struck a plea-bargain deal with prosecutors ahead of Ghosn’s arrest, according to the former chairman’s lawyer, Junichiro Hironaka.
Ghosn has denied the charges against him, which include that he under-reported his own compensation from Nissan. Murray also oversaw Nissan’s internal investigation into Ghosn.
Saikawa’s comments on Thursday delayed the pricing of a 250 billion yen bond issuance the same day, a rare occurrence in the yen bond market. The carmaker is also grappling with a plunge in earnings and the ongoing fallout from Ghosn’s arrest. Nissan’s shares have slumped 23% this year, on track for its worst annual performance since a 74% decline in 2008. Ma Jie & Masatsugu Horie, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Typhoon kills 5 in North Korea, 3 ...

Next Article

Trade | China’s trade with US shrinks ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Asia-Pacific

      Australia | Surfing soothes asylum-seekers’ fears of sea

      April 6, 2016
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      ASEAN diplomats discussing crisis envoy, aid to Myanmar

      August 3, 2021
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Thailand | Police find tiger slaughterhouse in temple probe

      June 8, 2016
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Military will recruit some noncitizens in a bid to boost troop numbers

      June 5, 2024
      By -
    • Asia-Pacific

      Australia | New prime minister receives opinion poll boost

      September 23, 2015
      By -
    • Asia-PacificHeadlines

      Australia | Depp’s dog fight with deputy PM Joyce continues

      May 26, 2016
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Daily Edition

      Friday, February 9, 2024 – edition no. 4424

    • Sports

      Former Coach recalls first Chinese NHL draft Song Andong

    • Macau

      Bus route N3 extended during summer

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d