MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Off-shore deals | Trafigura denies involvement  in North Korea oil transfer

Off-shore deals | Trafigura denies involvement  in North Korea oil transfer

By -
January 4, 2018
1
0
Share:

Performers dance in front of a depiction of the North Korean flag in Rungrado May Day Stadium during a ceremony commemorating the 65th anniversary of the Korea Worker’s Party in Pyongyang

Trafigura Group denied it was involved in the illicit transfer of fuel to North Korea after the South Korean government said the world’s third-biggest independent oil trader originally owned a cargo that was shipped in breach of United Nations sanctions in October.

The controversy nonetheless could spook international traders working in the region worried their oil and refined products could find their way to North Korea. In turn, that could increase the pressure on Pyongyang, making it more difficult and expensive for the rogue regime to buy fuel in the face of international sanctions.

President Donald Trump last week accused China of allowing ship-to-ship fuel sales to the isolated nation, which have been limited by UN Security Council resolutions in an effort to pressure Kim Jong Un to abandon nuclear weapons.

Trafigura said this week that it didn’t order the shipment of oil to North Korea and it neither owns nor chartered the vessel Lighthouse Winmore that was seized by South Korea last year. Hours earlier, the South Korean foreign ministry said the trading house owned the cargo and authorities were investigating whether it ordered the transaction.

The trading house, which has big operations in Singapore, Geneva and Houston, originally sold the shipment to a little- known Hong Kong-based company called Global Commodities Consultants Ltd. The deal was done on a free-on-board basis from South Korea for delivery to Taiwan, it said. The contract prohibited the on-sale of the cargo in breach of sanctions and Trafigura had no involvement in its final destination, according to the company.

Global Commodities Consultants as well sold the cargo onward, it said in its own emailed statement, to a firm called Oceanic Enterprise Ltd. The cargo was sold free-on-board in South Korea and was still intended to go to Taiwan, and also contained the contractual provisions on sanctions, the company said. No contact information was immediately available for Oceanic Enterprise Ltd.

Oil shipments often change hands repeatedly in the trading industry, often while vessels are at sea, leaving the initial seller unaware of the final destination of the commodity. Still, large trading houses such as Trafigura often monitor through vessel tracking systems the end point of cargoes they sell.

The latest controversy relates to a small cargo of fuel oil that changed hands in October last year in the Yellow Sea between China and the Korean peninsula.

The Lighthouse Winmore tanker transferred the fuel in October in international waters, South Korean officials said last week, without naming Trafigura at the time. So-called ship-
to-ship transfers are used in the petroleum industry to move liquids from one tanker to another without the use of on-shore infrastructure, a technique explicitly barred for supplies to North Korea by the UN Security Council because such sales are difficult to track.

South Korea, which said it seized and inspected the Lighthouse Winmore in November, identified the charterer as Taiwan- based Billions Bunker Group. The company is incorporated in the Marshall Islands, according to Taiwan’s Maritime and Port Bureau.

The vessel loaded oil products from Japan on Oct. 11 in Yeosu, Yonhap News reported last week, citing South Korean government officials. It then transferred 600 tons – about 4,000 barrels or enough to power a shipping vessel – to a North Korean vessel, the Sam Jong 2, on Oct. 19. At current prices, the cargo would be worth less than $1.5 million. Considering that traders often make as little as one percent of the value of the deal, whoever sold it likely earned as little as $15,000 from the operation.

Vessel tracking data compiled by Bloomberg showed the ship making trips between Kaohsiung in Taiwan and Yeosu in South Korea during September and October. The vessel data, which are broadcast by ships voluntarily and cannot be independently verified, showed it south of Yeosu, with its destination listed as Tai Chung, Taiwan, on Oct. 15. The next transmission was Oct. 25, further to the south near Jeju island. Kanga Kong & Dan Murtaugh, Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Beijing welcomes Koreas ‘positive’ moves to talk

Next Article

Climber who died in South Africa said ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Hong Kong | Carrie Lam replaces five ministers in cabinet reshuffle

      April 23, 2020
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      China pitches itself as alternative to US protectionism after signing expanded ASEAN free trade pact

      October 29, 2025
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      How a China-backed frenzied race to harness the Mekong turned deadly

      July 26, 2018
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Beijing wants US halt Olympics interference; implement consensus

      January 28, 2022
      By -
    • China

      US to sell Taiwan anti-tank system amid rising threat

      December 30, 2022
      By -
    • China

      Beijing says N. Korea could suspend nukes for halt in US drills

      March 9, 2017
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Macau and HK graduates can compete for over 9,000 jobs in Guangdong

    • Macau

      Artyzen to develop lifestyle hotel in China’s Chongqing

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Xi reviews CPC historical mission in address

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d