MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Philippines apologizes to China over wrong Taiwan logo

Philippines apologizes to China over wrong Taiwan logo

By -
October 10, 2017
2
0
Share:

A tarpaulin, showing the logo of the Philippine Defense Department (top left) and that of Taiwan’s Ministry of Defense (top right) is hung from the canopy of the General Headquarters of the Armed Forces of the Philippines for the turnover ceremony of hundreds of Chinese-made assault rifles by Beijing to Manila

The Philippine defense department has apologized to China for the “grievous but purely unintentional mistake” of using Taiwan’s defense ministry logo during a ceremony where the Chinese ambassador turned over thousands of assault rifles to the Filipino defense chief and top military commanders.

The Department of National Defense said yesterday that Secretary Delfin Lorenzana issued an official apology to China through Beijing’s ambassador over the “technical lapse” in last week’s ceremony, which was covered by the media at military headquarters.

The defense department did not say in its press statement which country owned the defense logo it displayed instead of the emblem of the China’s defense ministry.

A Philippine official told The Associated Press it was Taiwan’s, adding that Chinese officials called the attention of the Philippines about the faux pas. The wrong logo was printed on a huge banner that was hung prominently above Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jianhua, who was sitting on a red carpet and planked by Lorenzana and the Philippine military chief of staff.

It took a few days before officials discovered the error.

During the symbolic handover ceremony of 3,000 rifles and 3 million rounds of ammunition last week, “the Department of National Defense committed a grievous but purely unintentional mistake of using a different logo on a banner to represent the Ministry of Defense of the People’s Republic of China,” the Philippine defense department said.

The defense department stressed that it and the military adhere to the “One China policy,” wherein the Philippine government recognizes only the People’s Republic of China as the sole sovereign state.

“It is our sincere hope that this very unfortunate incident will not affect the cooperative and friendly relations between our two countries which has grown warmer over the past year,” the department said.

After he took office last year, President Rodrigo Duterte immediately took steps to revive once-frosty relations with China while taking an antagonistic stance toward security policies of Manila’s treaty ally, the United States.

Duterte has sidelined long-raging territorial disputes with China in the South China Sea in an effort to attract Chinese investment and infrastructure funds. He has promised, however, to take up with China at an unspecified time in the future an international arbitration ruling that invalidated Beijing’s claims to most of the disputed waters. Jim Gomez, Manila, AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

United Nations | Chinese Qian Tang among ...

Next Article

Big pharma gets boost as Beijing speeds ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Lai lands in Eswatini in a trip delayed by lack of overflight clearance

      May 5, 2026
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      China says US creating ‘fear and panic’ over Ukraine

      February 24, 2022
      By -
    • China

      Gov’t punishes local officials over deaths of 4 siblings

      June 15, 2015
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlinesMacau

      China labels WHO remarks on ‘zero-Covid’ ‘irresponsible’

      May 11, 2022
      By -
    • China

      Blinken heads to Beijing this weekend on mission to keep communications open

      June 16, 2023
      By -
    • China

      Beijing defends land reclamation in South China Sea 

      November 25, 2014
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      BOC issues new cards to celebrate KW Charity Association’s 150th Anniversary

    • Macau

      ExCo | Municipal Institution given green light

    • Macau

      China Daily | Flight ban resets HK’s zero cases goal

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d