MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Business
Home›Business›Qatar pledges USD3b to spur interest in new free zones

Qatar pledges USD3b to spur interest in new free zones

By -
October 12, 2018
1
0
Share:

Qatar plans to spend USD3 billion to attract foreign companies to its new free zones as the oil-rich country seeks to diversify its economy amid a boycott.

The world’s biggest exporter of liquefied natural gas wants to lean on its existing ties with companies to attract foreign investment to the areas south of Doha, Ahmad Mohammed Al-Sayed, the chairman of Qatar’s Free Zones Authority, said in an interview in the country’s capital. Logistics, chemicals, plastics and artificial intelligence are among the industries intended for the zones.

“We are looking for the cornerstone investor first and are setting up a $3 billion development and foreign direct investment fund as an incentive,” said Al-Sayed, a former chief executive officer of Qatar Investment Authority, the nation’s sovereign wealth fund. “Qatar has reached a stage of development, after building the physical, social and economic infrastructure, where we are ready to welcome the most talented foreigners to live with us, and work and manage their businesses from here.”

The incentive fund is just the start, and could increase to more than $5 billion as the free zones expand, Al-Sayed said. The country has already spent $10 billion developing the areas that border one of the world’s biggest cargo operations at Hamad International Airport and a new port, he said. Construction and the relevant legal frameworks will be completed by the end of next year.

Qatar, which has ties to companies ranging from Exxon Mobil Corp. to Volkswagen AG, is transforming its political, trade and financial relations after it was boycotted by its neighbors last year. The country has earmarked $2 billion for firms to join its financial center, to rival Dubai’s, and is trying a similar tactic with the free zones, which are popular in the region.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt cut economic and diplomatic ties with Qatar in June last year, accusing it of financing terrorist groups and having close ties with Iran, charges the country rejects. The rift forced Qatar to shift import routes to Kuwait and Oman, and buy goods from Iran and Turkey.

Read more about Qatar’s $320 billion sovereign wealth fund here

Al-Sayed said a group of listed companies in Qatar will form a joint venture to boost investments in the zones. He declined to provide details.

The Gulf has many established free zones, where foreigners can fully own companies and are often exempt from many taxes, in the U.A.E. and proposed areas in Oman and Saudi Arabia. Al-Sayed said there are more opportunities as businesses expand, seek new markets, and want to partner with companies such as Qatar Petroleum, Qatar Airways and the sovereign wealth fund.

“We have energy and resources, and we are determined to maximize the use of this wealth,” Al-Sayed said. “You might have a business somewhere else, but companies are growing every day and are establishing new business in every location, so it’s normal to have multiple locations.” Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Corporate Bits | Sands China kept large-scale ...

Next Article

Billionaire Lau is said to redevelop Goldman’s ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Business

      E-Commerce | Dolce&Gabbana goods pulled in China over alleged insults

      November 23, 2018
      By -
    • Business

      Parisian Macao launches ‘Parisian Picnic at Le Jardin’ experience

      September 3, 2020
      By -
    • BusinessCorporate Bits

      Shine Spa by Sheraton launches new ‘wellness’ package

      April 27, 2021
      By -
    • Business

      Casino stocks fall in HK amid gaming slowdown

      July 18, 2014
      By -
    • Business

      Spotify maintains faith in post Brexit U.K. with new office

      November 17, 2017
      By -
    • Business

      Gaming | Imperial Pacific falls after denying reports casino in probe

      November 18, 2016
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Forum

      China’s financing still essential to Angola

    • Macau

      Memory Lane

    • Daily Edition

      Tuesday, September 6, 2022 – edition no. 4089

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d