MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Security chief couldn’t guarantee next year’s June 4 vigil

Security chief couldn’t guarantee next year’s June 4 vigil

By Anthony Lam, MDT
June 12, 2020
0
0
Share:

Wong Sio Chak

Secretary for Security, Wong Sio Chak, stated yesterday that he would not make assumptions and could not guarantee that the June 4 vigil’s application would be approved by his team next year.
This year’s vigil was banned by the Public Security Police Force, an entity under Wong, on the grounds of Covid-19 prevention. On the sidelines of a legislative committee meeting yesterday, Wong was asked to promise the vigil would return next year.
The security chief refused to make the promise, saying “we can’t make assumptions about what will happen next year.” He kept stressing that the ban was in force due to Covid-19.
Wong said that even if there was no pandemic next year, there may be other events with public health and public order implications.
“I can’t guarantee that the vigil will be approved next year,” Wong stated. “There may be other conditions. Of course, I won’t hope there will be another pandemic next year.”
He added that the vigil was not banned in the 30 years before this. Previously, the vigil was declared a city civic entity, such as the City Council before the Handover, and the Civic and Municipal Affairs Bureau after that. The police, meanwhile, acted as an advisory body only.
On the other hand, the security chief confirmed that his team had pressed charges against the two daughters of lawmaker Au Kam San. They were accused of allegedly illegally assembling near the Senado Square, where the banned vigil would have taken place.
According to Au, his two daughters were only sitting on a stone bench in front of St Dominic’s Church with an electric candle and an image of the famous June 4 “tank man” beside them.
In the meantime, two “festive parades” were staged at two different locations on June 5 and 6 in support of Beijing’s national security legislation on Hong Kong. The police admitted that the two events were not declared in advance.
Wong said that his team are still investigating the legality of the two events. He believes that the results will be released soon, but they were not publicized as of press time.
Meanwhile, democrat lawmaker Sulu Sou is not convinced by Wong’s comment. He reiterated that civil assemblies and protests “do not require an application.” He emphasized his comment by saying that “the only grounds on which the authority can refuse a civil protest or assembly is that the aim of the event is violating the law.”
He further stressed that this clarification is of phenomenal importance because “if residents develop [a] misunderstanding [on the matter], they would unconsciously trivialize themselves.”
“It is hard to tell whether [Wong] didn’t know about it or it was just a mistake,” the lawmaker added.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Legislative assembly | Cheong pledges more ...

Next Article

Briefs | Typhoon may hit SARs over ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Health | Childbirth delivery service fee for non-residents may increase nine-fold

      March 1, 2018
      By -
    • Macau

      Tourists unaware of heritage, survey says

      November 20, 2014
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Former governor Carlos Melancia passes away at 95

      October 25, 2022
      By -
    • Macau

      Tigerair to relaunch Taiwan-Macau route

      May 9, 2023
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      CNY | Tourist arrivals fail to meet gov’t’s forecast

      February 18, 2021
      By Honey Tsang, MDT
    • Macau

      Health code to resume once HK brings Covid-19 under control

      September 8, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Severe weather | Typhoon Khanun injures seven in Macau

    • ChinaHeadlines

      US reassures Taiwan on security as Beijing increases threats

    • Business

      China climbs back up Yellen’s worry list amid market rout

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d