MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Tam: Gaming slowdown ‘will continue for a period of time’

Tam: Gaming slowdown ‘will continue for a period of time’

By João Pedro Lau
November 4, 2014
2
0
Share:

1 Francis Tam 2Francis Tam revealed yesterday that gaming revenue in October has dropped by more than 20 percent compared to the same period in 2013. The Secretary of Economy and Finance also said continuation of the annual cash handout in 2015 can be expected if the level of government income this year is similar to that of 2013.
Mr Tam said on the sidelines of the Luso International Bank 40th anniversary celebration yesterday that the monthly gross gaming revenue in October fell by more than 20 percent. “The October gaming revenue, as we have previously mentioned, will continue to fall. The rate at which revenue is decreasing is also close to the market expectation… Since tomorrow [today] is a working day, the October figure will be published tomorrow. The rate of decrease will exceed 20 percent. Although it has already dropped for the fifth consecutive month, we still predict the slowdown of gaming revenue growth will continue for a period of time,” he said.
According to the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ), the gross gaming revenue in October 2013 was MOP36.4 billion.
However, the Secretary added that this downward trend does not affect the government revenue this year and the 2014 revenue will be similar to that of 2013. “After all, the gaming revenue this year is on the same level as last year,” he said.
Moreover, Mr Tam revealed that the administration has finished initial preparations of the 2015 budget and has adopted a cautious approach when it comes to government revenue next year. “We still expect that the budget revenue next year will be similar to this year,” he said.
When asked whether public departments will have to adjust their budget and reduce expenses, Francis Tam said that the government has to cut costs on items that are deemed expensive. However, he pointed out that Macau residents are demanding more services from the government. “It is indeed difficult if we want to drastically reduce public spending on social welfare and spending on items relating to the daily life of residents, especially when the economic situation is volatile. Of course, as the Chief Executive has said, we must handle the government’s administrative expenses prudently,” he said. Mr Tam added that the government will have to be more austere in its administrative expenses.
In terms of annual cash handouts, the Secretary did not indicate clearly whether or not there is the chance that the administration will halt the scheme. Instead, he listed several conditions that have  to be fulfilled for it to continue. “If the public revenue this year stays on the same level as last year, while the budget revenue of 2015 is consistent with this year’s budget… if people think that the public revenue in these recent years is not going to see a significant fall… then I think it is normal [to expect the cash handout to continue],” he said.
He said that the Chief Executive will reveal more details regarding the cash handout scheme when he attends the Legislative Assembly (AL) on November 11.
Concerning the wage adjustment of public servants, Francis Tam insisted that there are many factors to consider when deciding whether to increase the wages of public servants. “Sometimes, you cannot only focus on the one-off decrease of government revenue when considering wage increase [for public servants]. There has to be a comprehensive deliberation,” he stated.

AMCM head vows diversified investments

The chairman of the Monetary Authority of Macau (AMCM), Anselmo Teng Lin Seng, said that investment of the government reserves will become more diversified. “In terms of the [investment into] financial products and currencies, it will be more diversified and will be able to be distributed more evenly. This can balance the risk and gain better return,” he said.
Mr Teng also mentioned the authority’s plan to set up a sovereign wealth fund, which was also proposed in the election platform of the Chief Executive Chui Sai On in August. He said that the fund is a precautious measure that seeks to improve the management of government reserves. Mr Teng said that the government may commission some fund managers to help manage the future sovereign fund.
The chairman said that the government will reveal more information about the establishment of the sovereign fund in the future.
In addition to this, Mr Teng gave a speech during the Luso International Bank 40th anniversary ceremony yesterday. He has described Macau’s current financial sector to be at its most successful in history.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsGaming
Previous Article

sands, sjm, galaxy top market | Casino ...

Next Article

Spanish shepherds guide 2,000 sheep across Madrid

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      MOP30 billion generated from non-gaming initiatives in 2023

      May 14, 2025
      By Yuki Lei, MDT
    • Macau

      Billionaire Packer says he didn’t consider Stanley Ho ban in Melco deal

      October 7, 2020
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Slash in junkets a ‘normal market adjustment’

      January 15, 2024
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • BusinessMacau

      Ponte 16 casino closure causes major loss for Success Universe’s earnings

      March 17, 2026
      By -
    • Macau

      ADVERTORIAL| EXECUTIVES TO CLASH IN CHARITY FIGHT AT THE VENETIAN MACAO: The white-collar shade of boxing

      July 11, 2014
      By -
    • Business

      Internet gambling would be given 5 more years under latest change in New Jersey

      June 30, 2023
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Crime | Domestic helper arrested for raping toddler

    • Business

      Gaming | Still hampered by virus, US casinos want aid in recovering

    • OpinionWorld Views

      Le Pen’s case is a window into what’s wrong in EU Parliament

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d