MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Sports
Home›Sports›The latest

The latest

By -
June 4, 2015
1
0
Share:

SOUTH Africa’s sports minister has denied that a USD10 million payment was a bribe to secure the 2010 World Cup. Fikile Mbalula told reporters in Johannesburg that the government wanted to “categorically deny” that South Africa paid any bribes to win the right to host the tournament. Mbalula characterized the USD10 million as an “above-board payment” to help football  development in the Caribbean region of former FIFA Vice President Jack Warner. Mbalula also says the South African government hadn’t yet received details of the indictment from the U.S. Justice Department, which alleges the $10 million was used by South Africa to win favor from Warner and other FIFA voters to back South Africa’s bid in 2004.

SHEIKH Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the Qatar Football Association president, says the nation welcomes the Swiss investigation into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. He was hitting back at comments from English Football Association Chairman Greg Dyke, who suggested that Qatari football organizers wouldn’t be sleeping very well following the announcement on Tuesday by FIFA President Sepp Blatter that he would be resigning. Qatar won the bid to host the 2022 World Cup, while Russia is due to host the 2018 tournament. “Mr. Dyke’s instinct to immediately focus on stripping Qatar of the World Cup speaks volumes on his views concerning what will be the first FIFA World Cup to take place in the Middle East,” Sheikh Hamad said, adding that the legal process should be allowed to take its course. The U.S. launched a federal investigation into corruption in world football  last week, issuing indictments against 14 current or former football  officials on May 27.

IN Seoul, former FIFA Vice President Chung Mong-joon says he will think about whether to run for the FIFA presidency. Chung says “many people” are asking him whether he will run for the post after Sepp Blatter announced he would be stepping down amid a corruption scandal surrounding football ‘s world governing body. Chung told a news conference yesterday: “I’ll carefully think about it before making a decision on whether to participate in the FIFA presidency election.” Chung, who was a FIFA vice president for 17 years before losing his seat in 2011, says he’ll try to meet many figures in the international football  community and listen to their opinions. A FIFA official said Tuesday that an election will likely take place between December and March.

UEFA has canceled a meeting in Berlin this weekend where member federations were to discuss ways of opposing a Sepp Blatter-led FIFA. UEFA President Michel Platini says it is better to await developments after Blatter announced plans to resign. Platini also noted the “unpredictable nature” of a U.S. federal investigation into corruption in world football . He says “considering new information is revealed every day, I believe it is wiser to take time to assess the situation.” The 54 UEFA member federations were expected to meet on the sidelines of this weekend’s Champions League final. At least 10 UEFA members are thought to have voted for Blatter despite Platini urging the FIFA president to resign before the election last Friday.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Sport Views | FIFA reformers must now ...

Next Article

Blatter’s resignation stuns football world

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Sports

      Football | Tottenham stuns Man City to reach Champions League semis

      April 19, 2019
      By -
    • Sports

      What to know about FIFA’s new peace prize and who might receive it 

      November 11, 2025
      By -
    • MacauSports

      Back-to-back wins for fire bureau at Macao Dragon Boat Races

      May 26, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT
    • Sports

      Football | Man City earns 18th straight win, Spurs lose again in Premier League

      February 23, 2021
      By -
    • Sports

      Patrick Baumann, president of the IOC Evaluation Commission for the 2024 Olympic Games

      May 15, 2017
      By -
    • Sports

      Football’s new complex competition kicks off tomorrow

      September 5, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Opinion

      Rear Window | They are all birds of a feather

    • Macau

      MGM delays Cotai opening to January

    • China

      JPMorgan says China to be included in benchmark bond indexes

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d