MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This day in history | 1974 Bombs devastate Dublin and Monaghan

This day in history | 1974 Bombs devastate Dublin and Monaghan

By -
May 17, 2021
0
0
Share:

Three car bombs have exploded in Dublin, killing 23 people and injuring more than 100 others during rush hour.
Five more people died and another 20 were hurt in a blast which hit the border town of Monaghan an hour later.
Up to 15 of the dead are believed to be women and two are thought to be baby boys.
Irish Prime Minister Liam Cosgrave condemned the bombings and said on TV: “I do not know which evil men did this but everyone who has practised violence or preached violence or condoned violence must bear his share of responsiblility.
“It will bring home to us what the people of Northern Ireland have been suffering for five long years.”
The drama unfolded at around 1725 when two of the bombs tore through Talbot and Parnell Street before a third blast rocked South Leinster Street near Trinity College.
A fourth explosion struck a public house in Monaghan shortly after.
The city was immediately declared a disaster area.
A police spokesman said: “There were no warnings. These were acts of outright war. People had no chance.
“We are detaining everyone we think can help with inquiries. We believe the people behind this come from Northern Ireland.”
Talbot Street, which was even more crowded than usual because of a corporation bus strike, was the worst hit area.
Several bodies lay in the road for half an hour as ambulances struggled to get through traffic jams.
Witness John Casey, who was walking into a Talbot Street hotel when the bomb went off, said: “Hundreds of people were in the street. They were running and screaming aimlessly.
“A newspaper stand was blown into the air past me and the newsboy next to it just disappeared in front of my eyes.”
Immediately after the bombings the Ulster Defence Association in Belfast denied planting the bombs as did the Provisional IRA.
But police later discovered that all four cars had Ulster registration plates and two of them had been hijacked in Protestant areas in Belfast.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

The final death toll in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, which included a pregnant woman and a stillborn child, stood at 33.
The loyalist Ulster Volunteer Force eventually admitted carrying out the bombings in 1994.
But relatives of the dead and wounded still believed many questions were left unanswered and they formed the Justice For The Forgotten organisation in 1996.
The group has continued to press the Irish government for a public inquiry into the truth behind the bombings ever since.
Many believe the UVF were helped by British intelligence.
Eventually a private inquiry into the bombings was set up in 2003 by retired Judge Henry Barron.
But the British authorities were unwilling to co-operate and to provide the necessary files and information.
As a result his findings were inconclusive.
In July 2004 the Irish government agreed to set up a commission of inquiry into the bombings.
Nobody has ever been convicted of the atrocities.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsThis Day in History
Previous Article

Islamic nations hold emergency summit on Israel-Gaza ...

Next Article

Japan, US, France hold military drill eyeing ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      This Day in History | 1987 – Aquino suppresses rebel uprising

      January 29, 2020
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1959 Fog brings transport chaos

      January 29, 2016
      By -
    • This Day In History

      1958 Historic Sheerness docks to close

      April 30, 2026
      By -
    • This Day In History

      1986 Soviets launch space station Mir

      June 19, 2024
      By -
    • This Day In History

      2002 UK declared free of foot-and-mouth

      January 14, 2025
      By -
    • This Day In History

      1965 Huge Rhodesia election win for Smith

      May 7, 2026
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      DSAL to hold three job-matching sessions this month

    • Macau

      Man stabs estranged wife in act of domestic violence

    • China DailyOpinion

      Dynamic clearing the option that puts people’s  lives first

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d