MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›Tourism regulator forecasts 3% fewer visitors in 2020

Tourism regulator forecasts 3% fewer visitors in 2020

By Anthony Lam, MDT
January 16, 2020
0
0
Share:

Macau visitor arrivals will drop by 3% in 2020, according to a prediction by Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes, director of the Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO), at the Office’s annual press conference yesterday.

When asked for a forecast of this year’s visitor numbers, the director said, “This is the first year, since I assumed this position, [that] I have to forecast negative growth.” The director announced the information in a measured manner. “As far as I can remember, I have never announced a forecast of negative growth,” Fernandes added.

She then recalled the double-digit drop in visitor arrivals in the last two months of last year and revealed that she and her team had prepared themselves for a drop in 2020.

Another factor that has led the Office to make such a forecast was the 6% drop in visitor arrivals during last year’s four-day Grand Prix period.

As for the Chinese New Year period, which will warrant a seven-day holiday period in mainland China, the MGTO senses a drop in visitor arrivals. The Office forecasted a drop of about 6%.

Last year, the Chinese New Year holidays saw about 1.2 million visitor arrivals. “A 6% drop will leave about 1.1 million for this year,” Fernandes said. “Although we forecast a drop, servicing 1.1 million people over a seven-day period is really not that bad.”

She further explained that a lot of factors could cause the same results. “It could be the Trade War or other external factors,” she said, adding that it is more important to be well-prepared for fluctuations.

“We also saw that more people opt for destinations [further away] during longer holidays,” Fernandes said.

The slow pace of growth in overnight tourists has long been a concern for Macau. The office, however, has worked to extend the stay of tourists. Looking to the future, the director reiterated it is an area they will continue to work hard on.

“There are still new hotel rooms being completed in the coming years,” advised Fernandes. “Focus will be placed on origins farther away from Macau. [The distance] makes staying overnight necessary [for tourists from those places].”

Macau currently has 41,000 hotel rooms, and there will be several thousand new rooms coming onto the market.

The office introduced smart traffic management last year. Information technology and big data were used to divert tourist traffic to less crowded spots.

“Besides obtaining tourism-related data from other government departments, this year we also hope to invite our industry members to upload data to the platform for everyone’s use,” explained Ricky Hoi, deputy director of the MGTO, also present at the press conference.

Macau was recently rated second last in an evaluation conducted by a British insurance company to measure the friendliness of different cities for backpacking tourism. The rating based its evaluation on the cost per day in the evaluated city. Macau is rated as less expensive than only Tokyo.

“One of our major plans this year is to commence smart itinerary planning,” revealed Fernandes. “I believe this [will be] a helpful service for backpackers [to plan their trip in Macau].”

“Furthermore, we have received applications for about 1,000 budget accommodation rooms,” Fernandes further disclosed. “I am not saying that all backpackers will opt for budget accommodation, but it can provide more options, definitely.”

Meanwhile, a core plan for the Office this year is to reopen the Grand Prix Museum, which has been closed for expansion and renovation. The expansion has necessitated the relocation of the Wine Museum, which was adjacent to the Grand Prix Museum. Fernandes said her Office is still looking for a site for the relocation of the Wine Museum.

Responding to the preparation for the cessation of Air Macau’s concession in November this year, Fernandes stressed that work is always being done with airlines, both in and out of Macau, to market the city. “The cessation should not be considered a trigger to a sudden addition of marketing efforts,” emphasized the director.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Artyzen to develop lifestyle hotel in China’s ...

Next Article

Briefs | Gov’t says no air deterioration ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      More surveillance cameras underway, gradual border opening in discussion

      August 7, 2020
      By Julie Zhu, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      CE grateful to Macau citizens and civil servants

      August 30, 2017
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacauOnline

      Crime | Forbidden weapons found in tourists’ bags at airport

      September 19, 2017
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      ‘Little Rabbit Lanterns’ part 11 inaugurated

      September 22, 2016
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      China has started erecting temporary housing units after an earthquake destroyed 14,000 homes

      December 22, 2023
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Courts | Dore investor entitled to receive HKD6 million

      April 10, 2018
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      European climate agency says this will likely be the hottest year on record – again

    • Pandemic

      Trump says ‘we don’t know’ how Kim Jong Un is doing

    • Macau

      Life & Style | Hollywood ‘Tarzan’ actor Ron Ely’s wife killed; son shot by deputies

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d